Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have consumed too much info -- Now I confused myself.Help.

1. Back To Top    #1

I have consumed too much info -- Now I confused myself.Help.

As some of you may know, I just bought my first pool. And I have it put up, liner in, water filled and now I am at the point of putting in the chemicals. I purchased the TF100 Test kit as everyone on here suggested. And took my readings...

Total Alkalinity Test - 150
    Calcium Hardness test - 250
    CYA test - Mixed the water with the solution as directed, Filled the whole tube up and I still could see the black dot (Holding it at waist level)

The company that I bought the pool sent me the following:
    Blue Wave Chlorburst 6 1lbs bags.
    Blue wave Stabilize Chlorinating 3" tablets 10lbs
    Halt 50 Swimming Pool Algaecide
    Ph Reducer - 5lbs
    Ph Increaser - 5lbs.

Now I am confused and don't know how much of this stuff I need to put in the pool. I really don't know what each of these do except for the Ph Reducer/Increaser (Because the name is self explanatory)

Can someone help a newbie and show him the light?
    Thanks in advance..
    Leo
    16344 gal, AG, Fijian 52 Pool 27' round w/ 1.5 HP 21 Sta-Rite Above Ground Pool Sand Filter System. using ZeoBest ZeoLite Filter Media.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I have consumed too much info -- Now I confused myself.H

I dont see any stabilzer on your list. You dont have any CYA (stabilizer) in your pool yet unless you added some manually. Even then from what I've read it takes some time before it will show up on the test. Pool school will let you know how much stabilizer to add.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Shane1
    I dont see any stabilzer on your list. You dont have any CYA (stabilizer) in your pool yet unless you added some manually. Even then from what I've read it takes some time before it will show up on the test. Pool school will let you know how much stabilizer to add.
    Won't the chlorine tablets and the shock packs add some CYA? He want's to be careful how much he put's in there else he will be partially draining and replacing water. I've learned that the hard way.
    Michael
    18ft. diameter, 48 inch deep Sharkline Reprieve AGP, 7000 gallons, Intex 14 inch sand filter with 3/4 H.P. 2,150 GPH pump, Intex SWG
    TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Use the pool calculator to determine your needs http://poolandpatio.about.com/gi/o.htm? ... lator.com/
    You enter the water volume/pool size and test results. It will tell you what and how much to add.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Shane is right, you need to get some CYA in the pool to protect the FC from the sun ... you also need chlorine

What is your pH?

The Blue Wave Chlorburst is dichlor, so that could actually be used initially to add the FC and start your CYA.
    Each bag will add 4.1 ppm of FC and 3.8 ppm of CYA and lower the pH

The tablets are trichlor, so they too can add FC and CYA.

The algaecide is not needed.

The simplest way to start would be to go buy some CYA and get it dissolving and use liquid chlorine to maintain your FC. Alternatively you could use what you have and just have to keep track of FC, CYA, and pH at the same time to ensure you keep things in range.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I haven't put anything in the water. This is the initial fresh water readings. For the PH question, the meter shows about 7.4.
    16344 gal, AG, Fijian 52 Pool 27' round w/ 1.5 HP 21 Sta-Rite Above Ground Pool Sand Filter System. using ZeoBest ZeoLite Filter Media.

7. Back To Top    #7

That's what I am trying to figure out, based on the readings I posted, how much shock packs do I put in, how much PH increase/decrease do I put in, how many tablets, etc. I've read that you need to shock the heck out of the pool in the beginning to get the levels up from regular tap water. But I don't want to over do it...

8. Back To Top    #8

Where did you read that?

If you were not using the stuff you have, we would say to get the CYA dissolving in a sock and maintain 2ppm of FC with bleach. And that is it, your pH is fine. TA is a little high, but that will come down as you keep the pH in range.

What we suggest kind of depends on how you plan to maintain your pool going forward.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

I don't have to use the stuff I have now, it was free, came with the pool. I would like to maintain the pool as cheap as possible, but not degrading from the quality or warranty of the pool.

I think I saw a youtube video somewhere that stated that you needed to shock the heck out of the pool in the beginning.
    I need to go to Walmart in about an hour.. I can pick up baking soda, household bleach, etc. If that is what you guys are suggesting I do. I don't have a clue on how to maintain a pool. I am willing to learn, or shall I say I need to learn to make sure that this isn't a wasted investment.

11. Back To Top    #11

You will not need baking soda (for now) so I wouldn't buy that. Bleach is good to get, make sure it is plain ol' bleach and not "splashless" or scented. Also, if they have it, pick up some Cyanuric Acid (also known as stabilizer or conditioner)...you will need about 7 lbs (but don't put it in all at once).

You did not post your ph, what is it?

Make sure you read pool school, the link is at the upper right of each page on tfp.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

I think the PH is at 7.4, that's what the color matched the closest.

13. Back To Top    #13

Ph is good for now! When you get a chance...hit that Pool School, and don't be afraid to ask more questions!

14. Back To Top    #14

So how many gallons of bleach should I get?

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by lcifers
    So how many gallons of bleach should I get?
    The nice hing about bleach is its available everywhere. Grab 4-6 jugs and get started. If you get some stabilizer in the pool, you will know in the next several days how much bleach you will go through.

Use the pool calculated for dosing size each time, using current measurement.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok thanks. I will pick up 6 gallons of bleach. And 9lbs of stabilizer to be safe. My next question is..... Do I put the 6 gallons of bleach in and the stabilizer or put the bleach in and then take readings in the morning and then add stabilizer. Sorry I am new at this and confused and don't want to mess anything up...

17. Back To Top    #17

Put 4 lbs of stabilizer into a sock and hang it in front of a return. This should get you up to around 30 ppm.

Then add about 1/2 a jug of the larger bleach ... this should get you to about 2.5ppm of FC. You will have to measure and keep adding bleach to stay above 2ppm or so while the CYA is dissolving
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Remember this thread you started. Before June you will be an expert on pool chemistry, and you will laugh at yourself.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Remember this thread you started. Before June you will be an expert on pool chemistry, and you will laugh at yourself.
    LOL

Please

Read

Pool

School!

18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

20. Back To Top    #20

On those free start up chemicals you have, don't worry about them for now, dry chemicals do keep for a long time, and once you get a better understanding of the full effects of things you will likely be able to use them for fine tuning things. The problem is most / all of the dry chemicals change more than one thing at once, which can be confusing when you are first starting out.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast