Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool delivered today need help skimmer box plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool delivered today need help skimmer box plumbing

I have a skimmer box that came with the pool already cut in.

My question is there are two pipe connections in the bottom of that skimmer box, I was expecting one.

Any thoughts on that?

Also there is another small hole 1" on the very outer edge of the box very high up but it is not punched all the way thru, so it looks optional.

Is it an overflow to dump excess.

tks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool delivered today need help skimmer box plumbing

Can you post some pics?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Tks, figured it out the second hole is for another drain pipe or spare, so I'll put it in but cap it at the pump end

The small hole is an overflow as I suspected.

4. Back To Top    #4

Someone more knowledgeable than me can expand on this, but I think the second hole on the bottom is for some kind of optional plumbing method that incorporates the main drain.

--Michael
    Slidell, Louisiana (near New Orleans) 11,000gal kidney shaped Trilogy fiberglass pool Intelliflo VS Triton TR100 filter Easytouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

yes it can even be blocked off.

It used to used as an equalizer pipe but that was later determined not to be needed.

So since pvc is cheap I'm going to run an extra off the second hole just in case the original got jammed up, which I read can happen.

But a diverter flap can be installed I just read then the main drain goes to the second hole rather than back to the pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Are you doing a main drain(s)? If you are, I think I would have it plumbed separately all the way back to the pad.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the skimmer and one main drain.

8. Back To Top    #8

However you plumb it, you should think about what you need to comply with the Virginia Graeme Baker act to prevent entrapment. I still would run a separate line back to the pump, but most new construction uses two main drains seperated some distance to comply.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm aware of the act, but the engineering drawing that was supplied by Sun Pools showed one drain only, due I think to the 54" depth and overall size of the pool.

The building dept approved it.

But I'm putting one of those special drain covers over the drain hole for peace of mind.

How come we can't upload pictures here?????

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Nova13
    I'm aware of the act, but the engineering drawing that was supplied by Sun Pools showed one drain only, due I think to the 54" depth and overall size of the pool.

The building dept approved it.

But I'm putting one of those special drain covers over the drain hole for peace of mind.

How come we can't upload pictures here?????
    I had to use photobucket. It allows you to post entire albums.
    27x52 Garden Leisure AGP, Hayward Dream Line 1.5 Sand Filter, TF-100 Test kit
    BBB and Loving It!!