Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 16x48 ultra frame help

1. Back To Top    #1

16x48 ultra frame help

So I have an intex 16x48 ultra frame that is a year old now. I fought so much last season with thst crappy cartridge filter and pump, that I'm taking the plunge and getting the sand filter now. Which size do I need to get? The wife and I are in a debste bc I want the 2650gph abd she says save the money and get the 1600gph. Also,should I get the SWG or not? I just dont want to struggle with it like last year. Thanks!
    ~10,500gal IG Plaster; Hayward Sand Filter; Kreepy Krawly cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 16x48 ultra frame help

Both will work for you pool and be much better than the cartridge filter your pool came with, but if you want to hook a suction side vacuum up, the 2650 will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcraig
    Also,should I get the SWG or not?
    I would not get the one that is built into the pump/filter combo. These things never fail at the same time.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Great info. I hadn't intended to get the all in one unit for that reason. Would it be beneficial? I'll fully admit that I don't understand the benefits of it. Also, what is a suction side vacuum? Does it just hook up to the suction side od the pump? I'm terribly new to all of this. Sorry for all the questions.
    ~10,500gal IG Plaster; Hayward Sand Filter; Kreepy Krawly cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

That's what the vacuum is. I have an 18X48 Ultra frame with a sand filter and LOVE the whole setup! You can always drape the hoses from the old "filter" over the side to make a whirlpool. This will help concentrate the dirt into the center of the pool which makes it easier to see when it's time to vacuum.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub