salt and borax addition without SWG

Apr 17, 2013
I want to add borax to about 50 ppm for the "feel" of the "softer" water. In reading in the pool school, borax raises PH - is this ongoing or just at first?

I also want to add salt to about 2000 ppm - I have read where with SWGs some must routinely add acid to combat high PH - is this because of the salt or the SWG?

I have also learned that the salt does not dissipate or get lost in backwashing and is lost only through splash out - is the same true of borax?

Thank you in advance.

Borax raises the pH at first, then acts as a buffer

pH rises due to the SWG, not the salt

Yes. salt, borax, and CYA are all mostly only lost through physically removing the water.

Crystal said:
I want to add borax to about 50 ppm
Just to clarify, you want 50 ppm of Borates. Using Borax is one way of doing that.

Crystal said:
n reading in the pool school, borax raises PH - is this ongoing or just at first?
The Borax itself raises ph and you need to conteract that with Muriatic Acid addtions. Another way to add borates to the pool is Boric Acid which is almost ph neutral. Read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html

Crystal said:
I also want to add salt to about 2000 ppm - I have read where with SWGs some must routinely add acid to combat high PH - is this because of the salt or the SWG?
swg

Crystal said:
I have also learned that the salt does not dissipate or get lost in backwashing and is lost only through splash out - is the same true of borax?
You do lose salt to backwashing and splashout, but you do not lose it to evaporation. Same with Borates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.