Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: salt and borax addition without SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

salt and borax addition without SWG

I want to add borax to about 50 ppm for the "feel" of the "softer" water. In reading in the pool school, borax raises PH - is this ongoing or just at first?

I also want to add salt to about 2000 ppm - I have read where with SWGs some must routinely add acid to combat high PH - is this because of the salt or the SWG?

I have also learned that the salt does not dissipate or get lost in backwashing and is lost only through splash out - is the same true of borax?

Thank you in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: salt and borax addition without SWG

Borax raises the pH at first, then acts as a buffer

pH rises due to the SWG, not the salt

Yes. salt, borax, and CYA are all mostly only lost through physically removing the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: salt and borax addition without SWG

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal
    I want to add borax to about 50 ppm
    Just to clarify, you want 50 ppm of Borates. Using Borax is one way of doing that.

n reading in the pool school, borax raises PH - is this ongoing or just at first?
    The Borax itself raises ph and you need to conteract that with Muriatic Acid addtions. Another way to add borates to the pool is Boric Acid which is almost ph neutral. Read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/so-yo...how-t4921.html

I also want to add salt to about 2000 ppm - I have read where with SWGs some must routinely add acid to combat high PH - is this because of the salt or the SWG?
    swg

I have also learned that the salt does not dissipate or get lost in backwashing and is lost only through splash out - is the same true of borax?
    You do lose salt to backwashing and splashout, but you do not lose it to evaporation. Same with Borates.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.