Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Have a leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Have a leak

I was running my filter for about 2-3 days and everything was fine. Shut it off and turned it on today and it sounded like a loose belt. The "squealing" stopped after about a minute. After that the pump started to leak but I could not see where. Shut the pump off and the primer lost pressure and the water level in it went down, any ideas??
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl
    Hayward DE Filter Model 6020

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Have a leak

Most likely the seal leaking and water got to the bearing and it's toast. You can try replacing the seal and bearing or you cna replace the seal and motor, or you CAN replace the entire pump. Depending on your level if handyness I'd go for a new 2-speed motor and a seal kit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

What causes that
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

A lot of things can possibly cause it. Old age, running the pump dry, dirt getting to the seal, Infant mortality, all sorts of things. It's really hard to say what caused it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

is there any way to tell exactly what is wrong w it? i plan on taking it apart tomorrow
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl

6. Back To Top    #6

pump is only a few years old and does running dry mean no water in the pump? if so this has not been happening. I inspected the pump more, after I turn the filter off the pump releases about 1/2 the water back to the pool. I am going to try and find the leak in the morning, and possibly replace all gaskets/seals on pump. what worries me is the noise it has been making, any suggestions?
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl

7. Back To Top    #7

If you're getting air into the filter then you need to find the leak first.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

I have looks every place and cant find the leaks of water or air on the pump or filter. It looks like the water may be coming from under the pump.. I am going jto try and clean all rings and gaskets today. When doing this I am going to turn off the breaker for power also close off the valve to the pump, anything else I should do?
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl

9. Back To Top    #9

buying a new hayward pump. any suggestions on where to get it? I am going to be installing myself and a lot of places near me (in virginia beach) will not sell the pump to me because I am installing it. Thanks
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, there are a number of places online to buy pumps from. poolsupplyworld.com. Places like that.

11. Back To Top    #11

That web site worked out great.. my next question is should I get the same pump or something energy efficient? Current pump is the Hayward - SKU #: SP2610X15 . Are tax kick backs around for energy efficent pumps? Also how often do pool pumps need to be replaced? Some people say they have never replaced them some say every few years.. thanks!
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl