pool water is about 2 inches higher on one side

Goose

Apr 25, 2013
Hey folks!

Im new to the pool community as I purchased a house with an above ground pool. It is 18X23 oval. First the filtration system was Crud so I replaced the 3/4 horse power sand, with a new hayward 1 hp DE and it pumps great! The deck is built around it and is in rough condition,(to put it lightly),

This guy half-***** everything in the house which leads me to believe he had done the same with the pool. According to the neighbor, 2 years ago the pool was washed out and the sand/liner had to be replaced.

With all of that being said it is built into a small decline, 3 feet below the ground on one side to 6 inches below on the other,(trying to paint a picture).

Now the water is about 2 maybe 2.5 inches higher on the downslope side of the pool. When looking underneeth the deck, (where the filter is) I noticed there is only 2 butresses 3 feet apart which are sinking due to the soil content. 3 5 feet from the pool is a errosion hill so there isn't alot of room to work with.

I am fine with the water level being a bit off but want to stop it from contiuniting. I was thinking about finding 4 butresses, (i dont know where to get them), lay some concrete, bolt them in andsecure them to the concrete (maybe a footer a foot deep).

Would this work? Where do I obtain these butresses?

The water is perfectly level, the pool is out of level, and 2" or more is getting dangerous.
From what you describe I'd say it's a total re-do, personally I wouldn't let my family near it, it sounds like there is potential for pool failure and that thing holds tens of thousands of gallons of water.
You may be able to salvage everything and just re-install everything properly.

Ideally you would need to lift the low side and make it level.

I can not really picture what you are suggesting to trying ... maybe some pictures of the current setup would help.

Lets say the pool is 13,000 gallons, 1 gallon of water is 8.3 pounds, that equals roughly 108,000 pounds, alot more if it lets loose.
Since the pool is not round it exerts unproportional force on the sides thus the extra butressing compared to a round pool.

By your description the pool is dangerously out of level, the typical goal is less than or equal to 1" level, you say its 2 or more inches out.

The buttressing is one thing, but at 2.5 inches out is needs to be relevelled. I don't really know about the butressing, just commenting on the levelness.

What I don't understand is how will you get these new supports under a pool that is full of water?
Of course this will still not remove the stress due to the pool being out of shape in the first place.

The pool needs to be emptied, the site re-leveled and the pool reinstalled.

I'll bet the previous owner re-leveled with sand on the low side after it washed out, and the sand has at least partially washed out. Leveling needs to be done with something firmer and more solid than sand, crusher run for example, and there should only be a uniform thin layer of sand on top of that.

it just looks as if it should of had more support on that side of the pool. and the only supports he has (which are 2) have sunk. I thought if I evened out the disrtobution of weitght on that side by attaching some sort of support from the outside frame to the ground/concreate it would help evenly distribute the payload. I found it odd that he only had 2 bustresses. I would like to reoinforce this thing as I have no idea as to how to dissasemble and reassemble this beast. I don't have any bowing or buckling like I have read on other posts. The water level is just higher on the other side. There are alot of pavers under the deck almost like a patio before he put the deck up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IMAG0406.jpg

Look at what I did to your first picture. Just Right Click on the picture on the site and "Copy URL". Then past that link in the IMG tag in the full editor.

You can put them all in the same post then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.