pool water is about 2 inches higher on one side

I see what your saying. Has it moved at all since you last checked. They say one inch might be ok.

Bottom line is what are you ok with. Saftey is the most important. You might want to redo it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pwrstrk said:
Bottom line is what are you ok with.
Not to be difficult but it shouldn't really be viewed that way, there is a general acceptance on what is safe in terms of a pool level. Most, if not all, pool manufacturers void their warranties past 1" off level. Early in the post the pool was out by 2.5 inches, now it's 1.5. Just because someone is "ok" with 2.5 inches off level dosn't make it safe.

Again, not to be rude but if your looking for justification not to tear it down and re-do I don't think you'll find alot of support here. 2.5 inches is getting dangerous, one side is clearly sinking or has sunk. The buttressed sides take on a disproportionate amount of weight and you can't jack up the sides.
If you have kids think of their safety and not how much of a pain in the behind this project might be, you also mentioned that the previous owner appears to have done inferior work around the house, well, that should be extended to the pool based on your assessment.

Just my 2 cents.

I would really like to make it to fall. That's when I will tear down the deck and probably read up on how to redo this pool. I belive the Markins are JW. I am also going to put down a tarp. According to the neighbor he never used it.

No need to say sorry, I just wanted to clarify that one sentence as sometimes pool owners are looking for re-assurance to do something they really shouldn't, that's all.

Goose, if the previous owner never used the pool and it's in the current shape it is, how do you think it will handle people doing cannon balls and such?
Ultimately its your call but personally I'd say the pool isn't safe, I can't see how anyone, based on the description you originally gave, would conclude there's no potential for danger. If you have neighbours close and they are hurt, or their property is damaged by your pool failure - your paying for it.
If you don't plan on using it you can probably just drain it down to a safer level and leave it.
Plus, this is a public forum and there is a record of people warning you, only reason I say that is because I'm following another thread where the owner and builder are in court, the owner posted that the builders lawyer found and was following his posts.

Again, just my 2 cents, not trying to be a jerk.

It's hard to make a call through these pictures on the safety of the pool (I would guess one needs to see it in person)...and if it will make it to the fall. Do you know how long has the pool been like this?

It definitely looks like your buttressing is not supporting the sides. I wonder if the supporting ground under the outriggers has settled, therefore causing the walls to bow out. I see no great way or repairing this in place, though now I understand your original idea for adding support.

I think JW is Johny Wessmuller (sp?) which I understand is a good brand.

Please do a little opportunity cost. If you spend a little time and money NOW to get it fixed correctly (a total re-level), you will be able to save possible (almost probable) future expenses of a LOT more time and a LOT more money.

Well I noticed his tarp was shredded under the pool so I replaced it and put 45 bags of 80 pound crushed rock over it and planted Cypruses and other things for erosion behind the pool.

Oh I also had a pool company come out and they said the liner was stretched and the pool wasn't that off. They did recommend in the fall to replace it with a new liner so I would know exactly how old it is and they would make adjustments as needed. They said when I go to replace the deck and have the decking off it will be cheaper for them to replace and make adjustments as needed. They showed me that my deck is what is actually sinking no footers on the back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am new to TFP, but have installed 3 above ground pools in 12 years: a 15', then 18' where I had and experienced that water 2" level condition. and finally a 20' round pool where I had to dismount it and re-level the ground better by scraping the upper North quadrant section about 5 inches deeper than the South section 22 ft away that was almost flush with the ground level, thus my backyard is kind of inclined to allow for water to run into a nearby small lake whenever hit by heavy rain...

When I installed my 15' , as I leveled the ground, I just dumped the sand from the upper section to fill out the lower South section of the circle to make it perfectly flat.(so it seemed, thus I used a 2"x4"x10' and put a 3' level on top of that bar that I used to rotate along the circle as a "Radius" arm and served me well to level off any bumps or fill out any voids on the entire area. ... Really? . Well, I did not foresee that after several month, as the sand became more compacted under the enormous water weight above, it just sank and the pool legs went further down, thus the level of the pool was increasing on the South and decreasing on the North side.

To make it short, when I istalled the 20 footer I decided to level the ground and scrape only the North section deeper into the ground and dispose of the sand somewhere else and leaving the outh hard as it was then. That solved the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.