LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
North of Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I didn't realize you had to have a water bond?? Is that typically for AG pools? If not how would I know if and where my existing IG pool had it done when installed years ago by prior owners? Is there another thread out there that explains water bonds in detail by chance??

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk

Re: pool bonding question

roadking00 said:
I didn't realize you had to have a water bond?? Is that typically for AG pools? If not how would I know if and where my existing IG pool had it done when installed years ago by prior owners? Is there another thread out there that explains water bonds in detail by chance??

All water should be bonded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pwrstrk said:
roadking00 said:

All water should be bonded.

OK...so how do I verify my existing IG is water bonded then ? I have a #6 solid copper ground coming out of the dirt in my pump house and electrically bonded to my ground bar in my sub panel in my pump house as well as bonded to my pump motor casing....and can only assume that #6 bond wire is attached to the structure of the pool itself originally when built...any tell tale signs I can check for a water bond??

pwrstrk said:
I don't know if that's going to work pappy. I don't think it's going to make code. Every water bonder I've seen is either stainless steel or brass. The one I got in my pic meets code. It was only 17 bucks.

I would reconsider your setup.

Taking your advice and I will order a proper water bonding unit like the one you posted in your picture!

Sounds good pappy. With the water bonder it's all about the surface area for the water to contact.

Just make sure you position it so it contacts water at all times. No air pockets.

Any gunite/plaster/title/pebble/quartz pool already has a water bond. The concrete/grout is sufficiently conductive that it serves as the water bond. Likewise nearly all pool heaters will bond the water as long as the heater is bonded.

Water bonding is a relatively new requirement, not yet in the code in all areas. Older pools are grandfathered in, and technically only need to have a water bond added if you are doing renovations. However, regardless of the details of code requirements, it is always a good idea to bond the water in a vinyl or fiberglass pool that does not have a heater.

JasonLion said:
Any gunite/plaster/title/pebble/quartz pool already has a water bond. The concrete/grout is sufficiently conductive that it serves as the water bond. Likewise nearly all pool heaters will bond the water as long as the heater is bonded.

Water bonding is a relatively new requirement, not yet in the code in all areas. Older pools are grandfathered in, and technically only need to have a water bond added if you are doing renovations. However, regardless of the details of code requirements, it is always a good idea to bond the water in a vinyl or fiberglass pool that does not have a heater.

Thanks for the explanation Jason, looks like while I am re-plumbing my pad right now I should add a fitting of some sort and start looking around for this water bond thing a ma jig while I'm at it....

We failed our final inspection for our gunite pool today because the water was not bonded. PB will install the water bonding mechanism. They work in many different jurisdictions but seldom work in ours. Maybe ours adopted this change before other areas. We have no heater to perform the task for us (if that would suffice for code purposes).

The current NEC requires a water bond of no less than 9 square inches of surface contact with the water. I don't recall if the last two code cycles required this or not. (Don't have my old code books handy) I have found some inspectors will allow for a heater to suffice as a bond and some will not due to valves in the pipes. The in-skimmer units work well for this but can be a pain in some types of skimmers. I have also used short (6") sections of brass/copper pipe in the filter inlet/outlet lines with a clamp to the bond grid.

Also, it is not a requirement for the bond grid to be tied to the grounding system in the panel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.