Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine at zero

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine at zero

I did the ascorbic acid treatment on Wednesday (3 days ago) and have been slowly adding bleach, but can't get the chlorine level to hold. It was up to .5 FC this morning (with the solar cover on) since I took the cover off I am getting no reading. I have even tried adding a small amount diclor right into the test tube, it turns pink and then goes right to clear. I have a Taylor K-2006 test kit. Any suggestions. I have a bunch of anxious kids ready to swim.
    20,000 gallon, older concrete and fiberglass IG, Triton II sand filter, Hayward 1.5 HP pump, Polaris G1000 automatic diclor feeder

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    The ascorbic acid in the water and the chlorine wipe each other out. You won't be able to hold a chlorine level until you have added enough chlorine to consume all the ascorbic acid. You need to add only a little chlorine at a time, but you can do that as frequently as every hour if the FC level has gone back to zero.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School