Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowes Muriatic Acid and Salt Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowes Muriatic Acid and Salt Pool

Was looking on the Lowes website to see if they still have muriatic acid so I could go by and pick some up before I open the pool for the season. Noticed it was a different brand than I remember from last year - Crown is what they are carrying I guess. Checked specs to see what concentration each version is (one around 15% and the one I was looking for around 31%) and noticed that both say they are not compatible with salt pools. ?

Am I missing something? I admit, I'm a little rusty in my pool-think since it's been a few months.
    19x43 Inground Vinyl Pool, approx 22 years old, no main drain, 2 (lopsided!) skimmers, 2 returns.
    1 HP Pentair Superflow Pump
    27" Hayward Sand Filter
    AutoPilot SWCG
    Aquabot T-4 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowes Muriatic Acid and Salt Pool

That would be news to me ... I can not think what one has to the with the other ... especially since even non-SWG can have a lot of salt in them just from using chlorine.

EDIT: Where did you see that incompatibility mentioned? I am not seeing anything like that.
    EDIT2: Oh, I see it in the Specs. I think someone does not know what they are talking about. It even says on the bottle for use in pools ... not sure how salt would change that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Lowe's and Home Depot are little hard to follow when it comes to MA.

In my area, Lowe's usually has their "everyday" MA which is the Crown stuff at 15% and in the garden/pool center they will have the pool version (usually Kemtek or similar) in a low concentration also 15%.

Home Depot has the same setup but oddly they have a third type in the garden center that is the 31%. I prefer this one as well as it takes less to make adjustments and here is the silly part...they are the same price for 2 gal. Clearly 31% is a better value too.

Oddly, HD doesn't put the stronger stuff on their website but they'll list the weak stuff. My guess it has do with hazard level. The weak stuff is classified as a "consumer commodity" just like the 10% bleach, but the strong stuff has a corrosive hazard label.

If I want strong stuff and HD is out, I have to go to my local (non-national chain) pool store. Price is pretty comparable. ~ $5-6 /gal
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

4. Back To Top    #4

My local Kroger store carried the same stuff as HD does. Same brand and 31.45% strength but they sell them as individual bottles. It's also cheaper than HD, bottle to bottle.

5. Back To Top    #5

Same here my Lowes is 31.45% strength individual bottles.
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

In Lakeland FL they both (Lowes/Homedepot) sell in the 2-Pack (1 Gallon containers) 31% stuff. Outside by the pool items.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Found these at Tractor Supply in the paint aisle.

30K Gal 36'X54" AGP, Eco kleer 22 Sand Filter 55GPM, Installed June 2010, Waterway 1.0 Hp Pump (Installed April 2013), Taylor-2006 test kit, Previously Perma salt system, BBB Method from now on.

8. Back To Top    #8

Wow. I pay less than 9.99 for 2 gallons of the 31% stuff from the local pool store ... they are good for something
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I pay just over $10 for two gallons at my locally owned pool and spa supply.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

10. Back To Top    #10

Yep, I usually can get it for under $4 a gallon here at fleetfarm
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

I believe I paid $18.80 for 4 gallons of 31.45%. Plus a generous sales tax. And I already paid the deposit, I just had to return the empty jugs.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

if you have a Rural King store close by they have 31.45 baum M/A for 2.99 a gallon right now it is 3.99 regular price they also have the team 20 mule borax for 3.49 a 76 oz box
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all