Old Pool / New Pool Questions

May 2, 2012
Taking down an 17+ year old Wil-Bar pool to install a Wil-Bar Matrix, both are 24 round.

The 17+ year old pool has served us well but due to rusting rails and side wall, it's time to move to another pool. I converted to a salt water chlorine generator about 5 years ago, this helped accelerate the rust :-(

Old Pool Question

One question i have regarding the old pool, I have replaced the liner a few times over the 17+ years and during the take down of the pool this time I noticed that the gap from the water level upward toward the top of the rails inside the pool wall had significant rust. I assume that condensation occurred in this "air gap" between the liner and the pool wall. I never seen this the other years when I performed liner replacements. Any thoughts as to why this occurred? Any way to make sure this doesn't start on a new pool??

New Pool Install Questions

Anyone used the foam to pad the walls between the liner and pool wall? Will this help prevent condensation between the pool wall and liner? (see question above)

Do most new installs use the foam cove along with something like the perfect bottom inserts?

I have a liner that can be installed as either the J-hook or with the beaded receiver, what's the best method to use?

Thanks,
Jeff

I'd say that if an above ground pool managed to last 17 years with liner changes, that would be pretty good for any pool and if steel was involved anywhere in the construction, seeing rust develop would not be untoward. That long outside in a harsh environment, it's going to happen.

Thanks for the reply!

One thing I noticed as I looked at this further when packing it in the trailer to haul off, the pool had a beaded liner. The rust was more noticeable where the beaded receiver channel butted together. I guess the butt joints allowed the salt treated water to get behind the liner in places.

Does the majority on new pool installs use the padded wall foam, foam cove and bottom pool pads?

Thanks,
Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.