Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Two speed pump has air on low

1. Back To Top    #1

Two speed pump has air on low

I see a lot of issues VSP pumps having air at a lower RPM. Would that also affect a 2 speed pump. it has an air bubble constantly at the top. I just replaced the motor on my duraglass with a 2 speed.
    16 x 32 Inground Vinyl 21000, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. Raypak Heater, Crystal Flo Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Two speed pump has air on low

Mine does too. Does not lose prime when off and do not find any air in the filter. Seems normal.

I have left is on low for weeks and the bubble gets bigger and bigger, but does not get into the filter or pool. Goes away on high speed and then I make sure to purge the filter, not much air in it though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Guess I shouldnt worry then
    16 x 32 Inground Vinyl 21000, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. Raypak Heater, Crystal Flo Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Have had the same issue for 5 years.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

5. Back To Top    #5

I noticed I have no PSI either is that normal?

6. Back To Top    #6

If water is moving you must have some pressure. I think my registers 2-4 or something small on low speed, but up around 16 on high speed.

Is your needle really sitting on 0 ... and the same place when the pump is off? What about when on high speed? Could be a bad gauge.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I have an above ground so no problems with priming, but I always have the little air bubble on low. And usually my PSI registers around 2-3 when on Low.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

8. Back To Top    #8

Same here also. I've got 2-3 psi on low speed.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pooly1
    I see a lot of issues VSP pumps having air at a lower RPM. Would that also affect a 2 speed pump. it has an air bubble constantly at the top. I just replaced the motor on my duraglass with a 2 speed.
    Hi pooly1 can you give me the specifics on your 2 speed motor and the cost? I have a 1.5 hp duraglass that I would like to eventually change to a 2 speed. Thanks
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

10. Back To Top    #10

I have/had a duragals I pump with 3/4hp motor and had the motor replaced with a 2 speed 1 hp cost was 283.00 for the pump and an additional 30.00 to have them install the 2 seals(I did it last time and it was so of a bear to tap the ceramic seal on and seat it correctly. I went through the company below as I had a good experience with them previously. Also they do not come with the 2 speed switch just an FYI.

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/4 ... flange.htm