Problem getting my TA down

Apr 24, 2013
So i started this year off with high TA (150) and high PH(off the charts using the taylor test kit. i added Muiatic acid to lower the ph to 7.0 to lower the TA and aerated to bring the PH back up into normal levels. I have done this process several times as each time that i do it, it only lowers the TA a portion of what i need it to. so after 3 gallons of acid i finally have the TA at 70ppm (what pool school recommends for a swg), however when i aerate to bring the PH back up the alkalinity also goes back up to 100ppm. am i missing something or do i just need to keep adding acid a little at a time until the TA stays put?

FC 5
PH 7.0-7.6
TA see above
CYA 60
CH 60

KDK

no, i dont have an auto fill, but now that you mention it i did backwash and had to fill about 5" of water. not sure where in the process i did that but it could have been the problem. is it beneficial to test my fill water to see what PH and TA of that are.

KDK

So after testing my fill water for PH and TA this is what i found: TA was a whopping 460ppm and PH was off the chart. I guess that is what my problem was, it just didn't dawn on my until you said something, thanks for the info.

KDK

KDKRETZ said:
So after testing my fill water for PH and TA this is what i found: TA was a whopping 460ppm and PH was off the chart. I guess that is what my problem was, it just didn't dawn on my until you said something, thanks for the info.

KDK

I go through the same problem. My fill TA is anywhere from 300-400. Lowering the pool water a bit before a good rain storm is a good way to get lower TA fill water for free :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's pretty unusual for TA to be that high in that area. I wonder if others around you have that high TA? Nevertheless, it can be managed just fine and you have the right idea as to how.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.