Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Leak

Hi...I am a new owner of a below ground pool.
    It has a cover.
    I turned down the heat and left the pool running all winter.
    I discovered the pool level drops as much as 1.5 inches per week.
    I put a large container of water in the pool on the step...the water in this container did NOT touch the pool cover on top as the pool water does. Of course, the container water isn't passing thru the pump system.
    The container water dropped maybe 1/4 inch per week.
    Now that it is warmer outside, the pool water is dropping by 1/2 inch more then the container water----less then during the winter but still something.
    Do I likely have a leak or is the pool cover touching the water and the pumps causing the extra water loss? Inquiring minds what to know!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Leak

Welcome to TFP.

Do you pump the water off the pool cover?
    What type cover is it?
    Is it still on the pool?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

In addition to Bama's questions, have you noticed the same amount of loss with the pump off?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes the pool cover is still on....lots of stuff is blowing around the backyard still so it is on all the time. The cover is the motor driven into a hole at the end of the pool level with the pavers. Two cover pumps are on all the time to remove rain water...always there is a little water left on here and there.
    As far as the pumps being off---they are never off. This week when I refill it to add the inches back from weeks of water loss I will take my measurements...fill my step container even with the pool water...close the cover back and TURN OFF the pumps.

5. Back To Top    #5

If the cover has any tiny holes in it, the cover pumps will pump out pool water with the rain water, so you need to leave the cover open when doing the bucket test.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit