Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Energy efficient pump upgrade

1. Back To Top    #1

Energy efficient pump upgrade

I currently have a single speed Whisperflo 1 HP pump and am thinking of upgrading to something more energy efficient. What should be most cost effective; 2 speed motor, Marathon Impower, or Pentair Intelliflo? Or other better option?

Stats:
    20k gallon pool, no spa, de filter
    paying $0.32 per kwh (California)
    running pump 4 hours/day off season and 6-7 hours in summer
    also have separate polaris 280 with booster pump running 1-2 hrs/day

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Energy efficient pump upgrade

Well, you do not appear to have any need for high flow or many different flow rates for different options.

The cheapest up front cost would be to just get a 1HP 2-speed motor and use your existing wet end. By running on low except when you need to backwash, you will save most of the electricity savings. You would likely also need to put in a manual switch to select the speed.

I think the Intelliflo lines right up with the plumbing for the Whisperflo, but it will cost significantly more up-front. You do have high power cost, so it is hard to say how long it would take for the increased electric savings to offset the extra ~$400 for the VS pump over just the 2-speed motor.

I don't know anything about the Marathon.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP.

At 32¢ per kwh you're in the Variable speed territory.
    However the most cost effective in terms of initial outlay costs would be to just change the motor to a 2-speed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. If it makes any difference to any answers, I also plan on getting the IC40 swg.

Few more questions...

Will there be any issues using a new Intelliflo pump without an Intellitouch/Easytouch control system? I don't care about indoor controls since my pool is relatively simple. I just want to set a timer. But when the booster pump for the polaris turns on from the mechanical timer, will the Intelliflo need to increase flow rate too? If so, will the timer for the Intelliflo allow me to do this? I want to just set it and forget it for the summer and adjust timers again after the season is over.

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't think you can select a speed with a timer on the intelliflo. Since you're getting the swg, for a little more you can get the easy touch and it will control the pump and swg
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

For completeness, the EasyTouch could control the Intelliflow or the speeds on any 2-speed motor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I put a Centurion e-plus B2982 1hp/.13hp on my 1-hp WhisperFlo. Works great and costs a little over $300 with seal kit and shipping/tax. Took me less than an hour to swap the motor. You can get an on-board hi-lo switch for another $30.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

8. Back To Top    #8

The formula in the "Hydraulics 101" sticky suggests that I can save an additional $200 per year with the Intelliflo over the 2 speed 1hp.

So, I just ordered the Intelliflo. I'm hoping I can just leave it on low power even when the Polaris is on. I can then order the swg with or without the easytouch depending on how the pump works out. But first I have to read more about this Liquidator thing...

Thanks again