Kiddie Pool Leveling.

Apr 24, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I have a black top back yard. The whole yard slopes. Not one area is completely or even nearly level. You can't even tell it's sloped until you set down a pool and realize your about 2 to 3 inches off.

Last year I bought my boys(now 4 yrs old) a 8 foot round x 18 " deep snap set pool. Vinyl bottom, plastic sides. I don't trust them with anything blow up. Bad enough they rammed their dump trucks into the sides of this pool and put holes in it, so I had to buy another.

I have a few questions. Since I rent and don't pay water, I need to keep my landlords water bill low. Which means I cannot be dumping hundreds of gallons of water every few days. I need to filter. Last summer we used a pond pump my mother gave me with the net bag from the small pool vac tied to the outlet. I could set it in the pool to pump under the water or I could set it up to skim the surface at night. It really did keep this little pool clean(except fot he sand from the sandbox but hoping the boys are "older" now and will not dump little shovels full of sand into the pool). It was great a circulating the water. But, It was a lot of work. And the pump has since died. Kaput. We also used the "Small pool" chemical kits bought at walmart.

As far as electric usage goes. That pond pump ran up our bill. Would buying a small pool pump be better for our electric bill? Or should I just purchase another pond pump. Either one would only run when no one was in the pool. Think I will also purchase a cover this year.

If a small pool pump would be better(and work better to circulate the water) can the hoses be dangled over the side of the pool(remember it's only 18inches high)? I read in another thread that it worked for someone else after they bleed the air out of the line. Thinking with buying new filters that the pond pump idea is probably more cost effective even with the electric bill. But not having ever been a pool with pump owner, I don't know.

Would it be better for us to just take the plunge and buy the Intex 10' x 30" Metal Frame Swimming Pool? Maybe next year?

Lastly, with our back yard all black top, how best to level this or any pool? We have foam rubber "ABC's" puzzle floor mats that we were using under the pool and if the yard was level these would be great. Nice and soft. I plan to use them again, and buy more for a larger area to walk on on hot black top. We tried to use sand to level this little pool last year but every time the boys splashed the sand washed out from under the foam pads and pool. The sand it's self was really hard to level too. Does anyone have any innovative ideas of how to level on black top? Pavers are not an option because they would have to be leveled, and on black top, that's nearly impossible. Especially without sand that will just wash out when they splash in the pool.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, it is nice when the kids get big enough to outgrow the sandbox and taking the sandbox into the pool with them. :mrgreen:

I think that things would be much easier for you if you went ahead and got an Intex setup. At least they are set up to pump and skim and this helps a lot. They also don't use that much electricity. As for your leveling issues though, I am really at a loss on that one. You are the first one that I have seen come along with a blacktop surface to contend with. I would say that you could add sand and retain it using some sort of improvised barriers. But sand does settle after awhile and that would move things. So, as far as that goes, I don't really know. Let's see what others might say.

:wave: Welcome!

This is a unique situation ... puzzling.

Maybe sand bags? But not sure how to make the floor feel smooth.

Or maybe the blocks of foam could create a wedge?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I too tend to think either some type of retaining wall and sand or sand bags are likely you only bet to get a level surface for the pool, I would also second the idea of a basic intex pool, these can usually be found at Wal-Mart for $200-$500 depending on size, if possible I would suggest upgrading to the Intex "Krystal Clear" sand filter, it is a big improvement over their basic filter, and you certainly get a lot of bang for your buck with these basic Intex pools.

Ike

Thanks, everyone! You guys are great!

Hmmmm. I really don't want to use sand. I do have some extra brick garden barriers I could use to retain the sand, but again, it was just too hard to level. I'm refusing all sand ideas. Uh-uh. No.

I think I am going to go ahead and get the 10'x 30" metal frame Intex from Walmart for 100. Hope I can get a good 2 or 3 years out of it before it's time to upgrade.

Wondering this:

I have some old but never used carpet remnant in the garage. And I have so many blankets and quilts(no less than 6) in my basement the dog chewed holes in that just last week I stared at wondering why on earth I'm keeping them. I almost threw them out, then had a sudden attack of laziness. I also have a twin size foam sleeping pad for camping that I have Never used.

So, My thoughts: Flat square pavers under the metal posts for the pool. Blankets then carpet(or Carpet then blankets?), and the foam camping pad IF it becomes necessary at the edge. I don't care about it so I could cut it down to shape if I had to. Then an inexpensive tarp from Walmart or Home Depot, then the foam pads. I was already planning to buy more of those flooring pads, and I don't care enough about the old ones that I could cut those down to shape and size if necessary to fit around the pavers on the low side, and cut holes for the pool posts on the high side so they sit directly on the ground. (Why didn't I think of these things LAST year?) And then the brick garden boarder along the low end to hide all the propping up. It's on the side of the pool that only my neighbor would see anyway.

Does this sound do-able? I don't care if the pool isn't perfectly level, just not 2 or 3 inches lower on the low side.

I will take the pool down in fall since the winters along lake erie can be harsh. Where to store, basement or cold garage? Thinking basement. Love that the manual for this pool gives folding instructions.

Pool alarm. In NYS it is law that all pools over 24" deep that don't have a fence directly around the pool with a gate, must have an IN POOL alarm. But the ones I've seen online that have decent enough reviews cost more than the pool it'self. Anyone know where I can get a GOOD one for a decent price?

I have left over htc chemicals from the small pool kit I bought last year. Chlorine granules, Shock, stabilizer and conditioner, and algae control. I know I can't put the powder in the filter. So can I just throw it in, stir it up a bit, let the filter work for abt 30 mins each application? The stabilizer says it's supposed to go right into the skimmer. Don't have one. So what to do?

Now, the filter. Reviews I've read of this pool have many people saying that the filter dies within days or weeks. Or otherwise doesn't last the whole season. Is this just user error? Not rinsing daily, not chaning filter every two weeks? Or is this an intrinsic issue with the filter quality, and I should be prepared to buy a new one in the near future?

Anyone know how long the cord is for it? The GFI plug to the house is within 10 feet of the where the pool will be. I could use a heavy duty extention cord if I had to, but I've seen people say in their reviews that the company said they wouldn't replace the pump because they had used an extention cord.

What size filters does it take? A or C. Can't seem to find, even on intex site, a clarification.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but now I'll be late for work if I don't get moving.

Thanks again in advance for any answers.

Sounds like a lot more work than putting in some sand and compacting. Leveling all that stuff would be harder than leveling sand also, and that stuff would compress a lot with the pool weight on it. Once the sand is compacted and level, you could just put the tarp over it, i'd use plastic sheeting from a home store, to protect it from erosion from splashing.

You could get a section of 4" black corrugated pipe sock. The sock is used to surround the pipe to keep sand out. You could then fill the sock with sand. You are basically make one long skinny sandbag, that you could position in a semi circle. Then you could level with sand and cover that with a tarp cut in a circle. You could put a few nails at various point along the sock to keep it from moving.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Drain-Sleeve ... XlzX6KyBdw

Another option is to build a base out of pressure treated 2x4's. Figure out your slope, transfer that to the boards and get cutting. Lay out your boards and mark for the next cut to shorten them to create the circle. Then nail em all together and cover with carpet. Might be heavy but it will be a circle, maybe you can roll it. Don't know where you would store it.....probably warp if you left is leaned up against the side of the house all winter.....more work initially than sand, but you don't have to move sand, store sand etc.

Actually the sand would be more work. And on blacktop, it just shifts too much. The old blankets and quilts will compact but the thickness before and after filling, coupled with carpet and foam floor pads will even out. I only need about two inches give or take. Maybe post a pic after I'm done! Its on bkacmtop so there is no risk of the ground sinking under it. I'm trying to keep this at minimum cost and going out and buying wood etc is just not in the budget. And it would leave a ridge. Not an option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.