Newbie question about old pool equipment: Skimmer attachment

Apr 23, 2013
SoCal
I'm a new pool owner with some very old pool equipment. My skimmer has a Pentair Rainbow Vac Mate:.

DU9nl5F.png

This device is connected to my automatic cleaner (Polaris 145). A few weeks ago, while pulling the Vac Mate out to clean the basket, the plastic cracked due to becoming brittle over the years.

The question is, should I replace it with another of the same? It looks like there are still a few places around that sell this device. I'm just concerned that this may not be the best option available.

Some of my observations:
* The main drain does not work with this device installed, because there's no suction going to the main drain from the skimmer (but this is probably okay)
* I don't get any surface skimming action with this device, because I need to adjust the valve to 100% to get it within an acceptable pressure for my automatic cleaner

Are there better alternatives I should consider?

Thanks!

Re: Newbie question about old pool equipment: Skimmer attach

Additionally, after doing some research, I see that the main drain is supposed to be plugged in the skimmer when using the Vac-Mate. It is not currently. Could this be affecting my Vac-Mate performance?

The only point of that contraption is to allow some skimming while you are vacuuming. If you do not have enough suction to run the vac and the skimmer, then there is really no point to using it.

Since the drain is not plugged, you may be getting a little suction from the floor and thus reducing the suction available to the vac and the skimmer.

How cracked are we talking? Is it usable to test plugging the floor?

I have one of these and I agree with Jason. You are probably sucking some water from the main drain instead of the cleaner - Path of Least Resistance.

I get no skimming power either and my main drain IS plugged. I've been looking into purchasing one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/skimplate

The idea is that one pump cycle puts all pressure to the cleaner (adjustable pressure i believe, just in case the pressure is too high you can dial it down for your cleaner).
The next pump cycle puts all of the pressure toward skimming the pool and the cleaner gets none.

Its alot of money, so I don't know if it is worth it. To replace your current device would be about half the price I think, so if the skim plate works, maybe it is worth it?

Spiccolli said:
I have one of these and I agree with Jason. You are probably sucking some water from the main drain instead of the cleaner - Path of Least Resistance.

I get no skimming power either and my main drain IS plugged.

Well, I just picked up a threaded plug from Home Depot, so I'll give it a try at least.

Spiccolli said:
I've been looking into purchasing one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/skimplate

That's really interesting. I've come across this in my googling, but I didn't realize that it alternates between skimming and vacuum. I'll definitely consider this option.

jblizzle said:
The only point of that contraption is to allow some skimming while you are vacuuming. If you do not have enough suction to run the vac and the skimmer, then there is really no point to using it.

Since the drain is not plugged, you may be getting a little suction from the floor and thus reducing the suction available to the vac and the skimmer.

How cracked are we talking? Is it usable to test plugging the floor?

It's cracked on the top of the weir housing (the part you grab to lift it from the pool). I don't think it really affects its performance any, but it does make it slightly dangerous to grab a sharp edge when pulling it out with a full basket.

I plugged the main drain today, and it made a noticeable difference in suction! I'm now able to dial the valve back about 30% toward the weir in order to achieve proper pressure range for the cleaner, and I'm getting pretty decent surface skimming action at the same time!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.