About to Replace Spa Light

Feb 26, 2012
I have ordered a new Spa Light. I've seen a few videos on Spa Light replacement so I am familiar in general how they are replaced.

The one thing I have not been able to find a video of is how to disconnect the existing spa light from my AquaLogic PS8. I have deducted that of the cords that run into my unit (see images) the one of 3 that are in conduit going into the ground must be the cord that is going to my spa light.

My plan is to:
1) shut off all breakers for the pool
2) Identify which of the 3 conduit is the one housing the cord for the spa light...this is where i need help. How to I get to it? How do I know which one it is? Anyone have any idea how to disconnect it?
3) once correct cord is identified, get in spa disconnect old light
4) tie rope to the end of the old spa light
5) pull old spa light out
6) use the attached rope to pull new spa light cord back to box
7) re-connect?

I missing something right? Really need help with #2

Attachments

• IMG_2734.JPG
    IMG_2734.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2733.JPG
    IMG_2733.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2735.JPG
    IMG_2735.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 109
Unfortunately the breakers are not marked.

Shall I assume that the pool light and spa light are on the same breaker. Part of what makes me think this is the following. Previously both lights were working. Then I believe the spa light leaked and let in water. At that time, if you tried to turn on the spa light from the PS8 it would trip the GFI, the pool light would also not work. If I reset the GFI I could then turn on the pool light as long as I didnt try and turn the spa light on. Does this mean they are on the same breaker?

I wish they were marked. They will be after this project.

Just to make sure. A total spa light replacement can be done with out draining the spa right? Every youtube video i find they are just replacing the bulb which doesnt require pulling the old cord/wire through and running the new one.

I guess are these lights made so that the "end" (part that plugs into the breaker) of the new light can go underwater and get wet as it will have to to fish back through the niche.

Update**
I just spoke to Hayward, there recommendation is to drain the spa to right below the light. Which in my case means pretty much draining the spa.. This isn't exactly what I wanted to do but figure if I drain the spa at least then I can install the light and possibly take this opportunity to replace a small percentage of my water to help get the CH down. I did have a few questions:

1) If I decided to not have to replace water, how does one go about draining the spa into the pool for temporary purposes?
2) If I decided to drain spa and replace with new water, how does one determine if they have have this capability with their current set-up"
3) Any possible harm done to my pool by draining the spa entirely?

Thanks

phoenixtx said:
Update**
I just spoke to Hayward, there recommendation is to drain the spa to right below the light. Which in my case means pretty much draining the spa.. This isn't exactly what I wanted to do but figure if I drain the spa at least then I can install the light and possibly take this opportunity to replace a small percentage of my water to help get the CH down. I did have a few questions:

1) If I decided to not have to replace water, how does one go about draining the spa into the pool for temporary purposes?
2) If I decided to drain spa and replace with new water, how does one determine if they have have this capability with their current set-up"
3) Any possible harm done to my pool by draining the spa entirely?

Thanks
I have manual 3-way valves. Draining the spa is a snap. Draw from spa, return to pool. If the water level isn't too high, it's great. If I'm high, it starts to spill back into my spa (not elevated) from the pool.
file.php

There shouldn't be any problem draining it below the light. It's not like it will be sitting empty for weeks.

When it's time to refill it, just reverse the valves, draw it from the pool and return it to the spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay it's been a while but I finally, after having the light for 1 yr, did the spa light replacement. Turned out to be pretty easy. Followed a youtube video from the "online electrician" and it was a snap!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.