Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: About to Replace Spa Light

1. Back To Top    #1

About to Replace Spa Light

I have ordered a new Spa Light. I've seen a few videos on Spa Light replacement so I am familiar in general how they are replaced.

The one thing I have not been able to find a video of is how to disconnect the existing spa light from my AquaLogic PS8. I have deducted that of the cords that run into my unit (see images) the one of 3 that are in conduit going into the ground must be the cord that is going to my spa light.

My plan is to:
    1) shut off all breakers for the pool
    2) Identify which of the 3 conduit is the one housing the cord for the spa light...this is where i need help. How to I get to it? How do I know which one it is? Anyone have any idea how to disconnect it?
    3) once correct cord is identified, get in spa disconnect old light
    4) tie rope to the end of the old spa light
    5) pull old spa light out
    6) use the attached rope to pull new spa light cord back to box
    7) re-connect?

I missing something right? Really need help with #2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k
    Pool Chlorinator @ 80%; Filter from 11AM-6PM, Cleaner from 11AM-2PM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: About to Replace Spa Light

one more
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k

3. Back To Top    #3

The breakers should be marked. If they are, pull the cover off the panel (once you've shut the power off) and trace the wire from the spa light breaker to the conduit, and there you have it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Unfortunately the breakers are not marked.

Shall I assume that the pool light and spa light are on the same breaker. Part of what makes me think this is the following. Previously both lights were working. Then I believe the spa light leaked and let in water. At that time, if you tried to turn on the spa light from the PS8 it would trip the GFI, the pool light would also not work. If I reset the GFI I could then turn on the pool light as long as I didnt try and turn the spa light on. Does this mean they are on the same breaker?

I wish they were marked. They will be after this project.

5. Back To Top    #5

When I replaced my lights I just had someone at the panel when I pulled on the cord from the pool end just slightly. Of course I had the power turned off to the panel.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

6. Back To Top    #6

From your description it sounds like they are both on the same breaker.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Just to make sure. A total spa light replacement can be done with out draining the spa right? Every youtube video i find they are just replacing the bulb which doesnt require pulling the old cord/wire through and running the new one.

I guess are these lights made so that the "end" (part that plugs into the breaker) of the new light can go underwater and get wet as it will have to to fish back through the niche.

8. Back To Top    #8

Update**
    I just spoke to Hayward, there recommendation is to drain the spa to right below the light. Which in my case means pretty much draining the spa.. This isn't exactly what I wanted to do but figure if I drain the spa at least then I can install the light and possibly take this opportunity to replace a small percentage of my water to help get the CH down. I did have a few questions:

1) If I decided to not have to replace water, how does one go about draining the spa into the pool for temporary purposes?
    2) If I decided to drain spa and replace with new water, how does one determine if they have have this capability with their current set-up"
    3) Any possible harm done to my pool by draining the spa entirely?

Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixtx
    Update**
    I just spoke to Hayward, there recommendation is to drain the spa to right below the light. Which in my case means pretty much draining the spa.. This isn't exactly what I wanted to do but figure if I drain the spa at least then I can install the light and possibly take this opportunity to replace a small percentage of my water to help get the CH down. I did have a few questions:

1) If I decided to not have to replace water, how does one go about draining the spa into the pool for temporary purposes?
    2) If I decided to drain spa and replace with new water, how does one determine if they have have this capability with their current set-up"
    3) Any possible harm done to my pool by draining the spa entirely?

Thanks
    I have manual 3-way valves. Draining the spa is a snap. Draw from spa, return to pool. If the water level isn't too high, it's great. If I'm high, it starts to spill back into my spa (not elevated) from the pool.

There shouldn't be any problem draining it below the light. It's not like it will be sitting empty for weeks.

When it's time to refill it, just reverse the valves, draw it from the pool and return it to the spa.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Okay, i'll have to figure out how mine is set-up. Unfortunately we just had a hard rain so both the spa and pool are nearly overflowing.

Thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

Everything work out ok?
    25k I/G ecostar ccplus Polaris plaster

12. Back To Top    #12

Quite honestly have not done it yet

13. Back To Top    #13

Okay it's been a while but I finally, after having the light for 1 yr, did the spa light replacement. Turned out to be pretty easy. Followed a youtube video from the "online electrician" and it was a snap!