Less expensive pump?

Apr 23, 2013
I was looking at the doughboy 15' or 18' round and talking to pool supply world about a sand filter. But the filter they quoted me that would work for this pool is $506.00
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Wate...Hi-Flo-1-12HP-Dual-Speed-Pump/522-5167-3S.htm

Im wondering it there are cheaper priced filters that would still do the trick for the next year or so. Down the road I would maybe replace it with a better one but for now spend no more than $200 for a pump. Any ideas.

Thanks

A pump and a filter are 2 different things ... often they are sold in pairs for the smaller above ground pools, which causes some confusion with terminology.

You mention a sand filter and then the link is for a pump/cartridge filter pair and then say you want to spend less than $200 on a pump.

If you do not start with the right equipment, you will just not be happy. You can easily get by with a smaller 3/4HP pump (2-speeds would save electricty, but cost more up front). But, if you go too small and cheap on a filter, you will not be happy with how often you have to clean it.

EDIT: how deep are those pools? the filter size kind of depends on the volume.

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up for me. The pool is 52" deep. Im just trying to cut some of the price down since I still would have to buy a pool, liner, pump/filter, and whatever I need to level the ground.

Sure there are cheap combos on the PSW website or other places for under $200. No idea how well they will work or how long they will last.
Maybe so of the Intex equipment would work ... many people use them.
I just have no experience with this equipment so will let someone else chime in.

Are you prepared to spend ~$50-75 on a good test kit and $20+ per month on chemicals and $$ on running the pump everyday. A 2-speed pump can save you money in the long run on power, but costs more up front.

huh never even thought about the cost in running a pool year round. hmm I may have to rethink about this then. Maybe a pool that I would take down at the end of the season maybe a better solution to avoid a constant monthly fee for electricity, chemicals, etc.

Well even pools that are left up can be closed in the winter ... but only a good idea if the water is cold (< 55 degrees) to avoid algae issues.

You did not list your location so I am not sure of your season.

If you are completely new to pools, then trying a more temporary pool may not be a bad idea to see if it is something you are going to want to maintain and use.

I live in Arizona, Kingman between Lake Havasu and Laughlin. Are summers can be about 110 and winters at times 10-20.
Maybe a temporary one is a better idea to make sure that its something I want to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.