Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Less expensive pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Less expensive pump?

I was looking at the doughboy 15' or 18' round and talking to pool supply world about a sand filter. But the filter they quoted me that would work for this pool is $506.00
    http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Water...22-5167-3S.htm

Im wondering it there are cheaper priced filters that would still do the trick for the next year or so. Down the road I would maybe replace it with a better one but for now spend no more than $200 for a pump. Any ideas.

Thanks
    Late 1950's IG plaster pool approx. 12K gallons, no equipment, get'n ready to remodel, Tucson Arizona

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Less expensive pump?

A pump and a filter are 2 different things ... often they are sold in pairs for the smaller above ground pools, which causes some confusion with terminology.

You mention a sand filter and then the link is for a pump/cartridge filter pair and then say you want to spend less than $200 on a pump.

If you do not start with the right equipment, you will just not be happy. You can easily get by with a smaller 3/4HP pump (2-speeds would save electricty, but cost more up front). But, if you go too small and cheap on a filter, you will not be happy with how often you have to clean it.

EDIT: how deep are those pools? the filter size kind of depends on the volume.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up for me. The pool is 52" deep. Im just trying to cut some of the price down since I still would have to buy a pool, liner, pump/filter, and whatever I need to level the ground.
    Late 1950's IG plaster pool approx. 12K gallons, no equipment, get'n ready to remodel, Tucson Arizona

4. Back To Top    #4

Sure there are cheap combos on the PSW website or other places for under $200. No idea how well they will work or how long they will last.
    Maybe so of the Intex equipment would work ... many people use them.
    I just have no experience with this equipment so will let someone else chime in.

Are you prepared to spend ~$50-75 on a good test kit and $20+ per month on chemicals and $$ on running the pump everyday. A 2-speed pump can save you money in the long run on power, but costs more up front.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

huh never even thought about the cost in running a pool year round. hmm I may have to rethink about this then. Maybe a pool that I would take down at the end of the season maybe a better solution to avoid a constant monthly fee for electricity, chemicals, etc.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well even pools that are left up can be closed in the winter ... but only a good idea if the water is cold (< 55 degrees) to avoid algae issues.

You did not list your location so I am not sure of your season.

If you are completely new to pools, then trying a more temporary pool may not be a bad idea to see if it is something you are going to want to maintain and use.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

I live in Arizona, Kingman between Lake Havasu and Laughlin. Are summers can be about 110 and winters at times 10-20.
    Maybe a temporary one is a better idea to make sure that its something I want to do.