Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie! Found a hole in DE filter grid.

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie! Found a hole in DE filter grid.

Howdy! I just opened up my DE filter to hose it off as I have been getting a lot of sediment settling on the pool for the last month. I tried to backwash the DE over the weekend and I think I added too much DE, I put in 100% instead of the 80% before researching on this forum properly.

The water is now flowing clear through the sight pipe but I noticed there is a tear, or hole, in one of the grids. It is high up on the grid and about an inch long, it's frayed around the edges so doesn't look new. Is this causing the sediment to settle in the pool, or did it just need a hose off? Do I need to replace the grids?

Thanks a lot!
    25k I G plaster pool w/spa. 2.2HP Century Centurion switchless motor. COMPOOL lx3800. Pentair FNS Plus DE FILTER 60sq/ft.
    Houston, TX - direct sunlight 8 hours a day.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie! Found a hole in DE filter grid.

If there is a hole in the grid, then dirt and DE can pass through it. You might be able to sew it shut. Or buy a new grid Or an entire set of new grids is < $150.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks again Jason!
    25k I G plaster pool w/spa. 2.2HP Century Centurion switchless motor. COMPOOL lx3800. Pentair FNS Plus DE FILTER 60sq/ft.

4. Back To Top    #4

You also might be able to hot glue a patch on the tear to hold till you can get new grids.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Dave. I think I will try and replace that one grid this week.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have just put a new air relief valve on and started the filter, and now the pressure is high, 15 above normal, in the clean filter range, and I am getting no flow to the pool or spa at all! Is there something obvious I have missed? Thank you!

7. Back To Top    #7

There must be a valve somewhere on the return side that is not open ... the relief valve on the top should not have raised the pressure.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Great, ha ha, I had put a check valve on the wrong way. Talk about not seeing the woods for the trees! Thanks! Hopefully I'll have the pool clean and ready for the weekend! I appreciate the help!

9. Back To Top    #9

IF it is a Jandy type check valve, you can just unscrew it and flip it around ... hope you do not have to re-plumb.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

I am going to order a complete set of grids online, as the local store are about $100 more expensive. Can anyone recommend which brand / model to buy to put in my Pentair DNS Plus 60sq ft, please? Thanks!

11. Back To Top    #11

Unicell and Filbur are fine. I got mine on Ebay.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks, I found Unicell FS-2005 for $151 delivered for a set of 8.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by charlieTX
    Thanks, I found Unicell FS-2005 for $151 delivered for a set of 8.
    Newegg has Unicell FS-2005 for $132 w/free shipping. Yeah, I know, not the first place you would think to look.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA02D0AB3678
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.