Disposing of DE filter grid cleaner

Apr 22, 2013
San Diego
So this is my first post here. I attempted a search on this topic and read the basic pool cleaning stuff, but didn't find my answer. I apologize in advance if this has already been covered:

I'm a new house owner and new pool maintainer. We decided to drain the water out because the CYA was around 200 ppm (the pool had been neglected for who knows how long before we bought the house). So now the water's back in and I want to clean the DE filter thoroughly before circulating (when I opened it, much of the DE was green... I'm assuming that's bad news).

So I soaked the grids overnight in this and I hope to put the filter back together this evening, put DE back in it, and then start getting the water chemistry back in shape.

My question is, where can I dispose of this cleaner? It doesn't say on the bottle. I live in SoCal and we have fairly strict regs about dumping stuff. I just want to be sure I'm not poisoning my ground / being a bad neighbor. I assume this is just some sort of detergent, but detergents come in many levels of "not good for drains."

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

The MSDS for that is here.

It's acidic. I imagine diluting it with water and soda ash or baking soda until the pH is close to neutral would render it safe for the sanitary sewer or the patch of weeds you want to kill. If you don't have an easy sewer access somewhere in front of the house hidden in a planter, there's always the toilet. Just don't slop any carrying buckets into the house.

EDIT: The directions say it changes color to yellow when it's used up ie neutralized. So it ought to be simple enough to know when it's pH neutral and safe to flush.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.