Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muriatic Acid vs. PH Down -- compelling reasons for MA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic Acid vs. PH Down -- compelling reasons for MA?

Hi all. Just wanted to see if the experts would weigh in on an internal debate.

I know MA is cheap and effective for lowering ph, and used it all sat season in my maiden voyage as a pool owner.

I am also a klutz, and have the acid marks to prove it. I did despite goggles splash near my eye area, and in general, I just hate the stuff.

I am not swg, so don't really have to use it al that often, eg every 10 days was the average last year. (The steady diet of jack's magic may have contributed). I do keep jets pointed up to keep lea debris moving toward the skimmer, which causes mild aeration ongoingly.

Apart from expense, is there any other compelling reason not to use dry acid instead? Eg. Efficacy or unintended results/by products?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic Acid vs. PH Down -- compelling reasons for MA?

There can be a problem with sulfate buildup from using very large amounts of dry acid. If sulfate levels get high enough they can damage the coating on the SWG cell plates and potentially cause plaster problems as well. This is normally only an issue if you are using dry acid constantly, as low levels have no real impact.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I prefer the liquid as theres no chance of undissolved solids. I beleive there is a cost benefit as well.

As far as splashing.....if your pouring the acid from standing level on your decking into the pool its going to splash....I always get the bottle close to the water surface and dont have those issues. I reccomend you try that.

No splash = no problem
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

When pouring, I actually put the bottom of the bottle in the pool and then pour - no splash at all.
    20,000 IG WetEdge Satin Matrix Northshore Plum, Filled 8/24/12

5. Back To Top    #5

To put it simply Muriatic acid (HCl) breaks down into a Hydrogen ion and a Chlorine ion, both things you already have in Chlorinated water so there are no byproduct concerns like you may have with dry acid. Having said that dry acid does work ok in reasonable amounts.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

When pouring, I actually put the bottom of the bottle in the pool and then pour - no splash at all.
    This absolutely works. I could pour acid in my best clothes (slightly newer blue jeans ) and never splash or spill.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Swampwoman,

I think I understand your concerns, I've not had splash issues, but have had a couple of close calls while handling the open jug. I also make sure my kids aren't nearby while handling it. I will probably continue to use MA but I worry about it.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks guys, for the input. I just find when the bottle is full and I am having to pour into a cup even with the bottom in the water I'm not very good at controlling the pour rate (uncoordinated) and am crouched over it so somehow I have managed to still splash. Perhaps I need some yoga in my life
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    Helpful Links:

9. Back To Top    #9

I've stop using a cup to measure the MA. I have gotten used to what a cup is roughly about and I shoot to lower my pH down to 7.5, so if I over do it a little, no harm, and if I under do it, I'll need to add some sooner than normal.

Use a jug filled with water and practice pouring, and in no time you will learn what a cup is while pouring the MA straight in to the pool. Your measurements don't need to be exact, rough amount is fine.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

Yeah, I never measure the acid (or the bleach). Just pour directly into the water with your best estimate.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Yeah, I never measure the acid (or the bleach). Just pour directly into the water with your best estimate.
    I don't measure either. My wife does the testing and I do the chemical handling and I tell her I've added MA in increments of "glugs"... generally 2, 4 or 6 glugs depending on if she says Ph is high, pretty high or very high...
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

12. Back To Top    #12

I use the Taylor Acid Demand (I know, not popular here). For my pool, one drop Acid Demand reagent means 1/3 jug of MA. Never measure. Never calculate.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

13. Back To Top    #13

Be careful when putting the bottle in the water when pouring. If water were to enter the bottle if could be explosive. I do the same but I remember all those warnings about handling acid.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

14. Back To Top    #14

I think there is also "no fume" MA, that is just more diluted than the full strength stuff that fumes when you pour it into the measuring cup.

I wouldn't put the MA bottle in the water, too much of a chance to let water in the MA bottle...this is bad as you should never add water to acid.
    19,500gal, Gunite, Pebbletec, Chlorine, PCC2000 cleaner, Stenner Chlorine Pump, MegaCatch Mosquito Trap

15. Back To Top    #15

I just added a few more "glugs" of MA to our pool as DW said "it's still high today"... and as I put the bottle back she asked... is it OK to drip that stuff on the pavers? I asked "where?" and she said she saw a lot of small drips after my "glug" of pouring it.

I guess the acid will etch the color on the concrete? I'm hoping some minor drips will just blend in? I guess I'll be more careful though.
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

16. Back To Top    #16

So none of you mix the MA in a bucket with pool water first? Pool store told me I had to do it this way...
    pool owner since 2012
    13-15k gallons, kidney shaped,in-ground plaster
    1970s construction, currently undergoing complete renovation
    3 jets, 1 skimmer, 1 dedicated vacuum line, kreepy krauly great white, main drain

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by tmnt25
    So none of you mix the MA in a bucket with pool water first? Pool store told me I had to do it this way...
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't bother. I like the way I know that what I'm putting in is always diluted, and when I rinse the bucket I toss the water where I poured the acid and know it's really getting dispersed. But it is a bunch of extra handling.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

18. Back To Top    #18

I switched brands (was more by attrition...needed some and was near a pool store) and I'm not having near the fume problems or the pour problems I had before. The bottle is shaped differently, and is easier to pour. The strength is only a wee bit different (31%). I've also learned to glue in tread of essing with the measuring cup.

So thanks for talking me off the ledge
    Helpful Links:

19. Back To Top    #19

I've had dry acid settle to the bottom of my pool when the water was very cold (40F). It left marks on my colored plaster when not brushed within seconds. I imagine even with a white plaster pool with overall darkening from calcium or metals, that a noticeable light spot might occur if dry acid settles to the bottom. In my case, the light spots gradually darkened and disappeared after about a month.

MA on the other hand is dispersed pretty quickly and is less likely to damage underwater plaster, but I can see where MA has lots more damage potential when spilled on deck, coping or flesh.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

20. Back To Top    #20

I bought a jug in 2007 and have never used it!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast