pool bonding question

Apr 13, 2013
I just replaced my double insulated pump that came with the Doughboy pool. It was never bonded to the pool and as far as I can tell from reading the information here is that it was not necessary.

I have recently replaced the old pump with a new 1hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix :whoot: and am definitely going to bond it to my 24' ABG Doughboy. My question is?? Is it necessary to totally encircle the pool and attaching at 4 equal point of the pool or is it ok to bond using only one connection to a pool upright support and how important is it to water bond it also?

And should I also drive a 8' copper rod and ground it there too? I'm sure this has been addressed before on the site so please forgive me,
Thank You in advance!
:cheers:

Re: bonding the pool

Pappy1959 said:
I just replaced my double insulated pump that came with the Doughboy pool. It was never bonded to the pool and as far as I can tell from reading the information here is that it was not necessary.

I have recently replaced the old pump with a new 1hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix :whoot: and am definitely going to bond it to my 24' ABG Doughboy. My question is?? Is it necessary to totally encircle the pool and attaching at 4 equal point of the pool or is it ok to bond using only one connection to a pool upright support and how important is it to water bond it also?

And should I also drive a 8' copper rod and ground it there too? I'm sure this has been addressed before on the site so please forgive me,
Thank You in advance!
:cheers:

Unless you are in Canada, the ground rod is not needed.

To meet code, you need to go around the pool. A water bond is pretty easy with a fitting.

Re: bonding the pool

Thank you John T
I have seen a water bonding plate that installs inside the skimmer, but its curved to fit inside the round type skimmer. My skmmer is square! I am needing a flat grounding plate...is there such a item? Or i think i saw on the forums where the water bonding was accomplished via a brass plug installed in the hard plumbing .

You can take a stainless steel coupling and/or nipple and drill and thread for a bolt and attach a bonding lug to it and install it in the plumbing and it will make a water bond. Or you can buy one already made up but they're expensive.

Technically the water bond requires 9 in² of surface area [s:7ncz8vk4]so that doesn't quite meet code.[/s:7ncz8vk4] Sorry I didn't look at the piece before I wrote that. It appears to meet the code and is a pretty nifty way of doing it.

pwrstrk, that is a very smart way of doing it. I've been putting off bonding my pool for a couple of seasons and wanted to tackle it this year, can you explain the process to get the lug into the PVC cap, I think that's a great idea.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a picture of how I will be water bonding my 24' pool.....Will this work and or pass codes? I have already drilled, tapped and sealed the plug and attached the copper lug.

[attachment=0:2nqfiwt3]20130424_134308.jpg[/attachment:2nqfiwt3]

Attachments

• 20130424_134308.jpg
    20130424_134308.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 171
What is that made out of and where did you get it. I've never seen a water bonder like that. Also you need to use bare copper wire. #8awg is the size

. Is it a steel pipe plug ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes its a pipe plug, I drilled a 1/4" hole in it, tapped it out and fastned the grounding lug to it.
I can replace the wire with solid bare wire. I have not installed this yet, I wanted to get y'all's opinions and comments before I continued with the hard plumb.
All comments and sugestions are encouraged and welcome.
In the few days of discovering this site I have learned quite allot and am learning as much as I can to make my pool as safe as i can.... Thanks to the great help here yall are making it possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.