Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pool bonding question

1. Back To Top    #1

pool bonding question

I just replaced my double insulated pump that came with the Doughboy pool. It was never bonded to the pool and as far as I can tell from reading the information here is that it was not necessary.

I have recently replaced the old pump with a new 1hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix and am definitely going to bond it to my 24' ABG Doughboy. My question is?? Is it necessary to totally encircle the pool and attaching at 4 equal point of the pool or is it ok to bond using only one connection to a pool upright support and how important is it to water bond it also?

And should I also drive a 8' copper rod and ground it there too? I'm sure this has been addressed before on the site so please forgive me,
    Thank You in advance!
    24' Round Doughboy 52" height, 1HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix, Doughboy sand filter
    Location--Charleston S.C

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: bonding the pool

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy1959
    I just replaced my double insulated pump that came with the Doughboy pool. It was never bonded to the pool and as far as I can tell from reading the information here is that it was not necessary.

I have recently replaced the old pump with a new 1hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix and am definitely going to bond it to my 24' ABG Doughboy. My question is?? Is it necessary to totally encircle the pool and attaching at 4 equal point of the pool or is it ok to bond using only one connection to a pool upright support and how important is it to water bond it also?

And should I also drive a 8' copper rod and ground it there too? I'm sure this has been addressed before on the site so please forgive me,
    Thank You in advance!

Unless you are in Canada, the ground rod is not needed.

To meet code, you need to go around the pool. A water bond is pretty easy with a fitting.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: bonding the pool

Thank you John T
    I have seen a water bonding plate that installs inside the skimmer, but its curved to fit inside the round type skimmer. My skmmer is square! I am needing a flat grounding plate...is there such a item? Or i think i saw on the forums where the water bonding was accomplished via a brass plug installed in the hard plumbing .
    24' Round Doughboy 52" height, 1HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix, Doughboy sand filter
    Location--Charleston S.C

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: pool bonding question

You can take a stainless steel coupling and/or nipple and drill and thread for a bolt and attach a bonding lug to it and install it in the plumbing and it will make a water bond. Or you can buy one already made up but they're expensive.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's how I bonded my water. It's on the suction side. Picture is before I ran the bonding wire.

[attachment=0:3krw8qc8]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366804721.194007.jpg[/attachment:3krw8qc8]

http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-75588- ... nding.aspx

Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Technically the water bond requires 9 in² of surface area [s:7ncz8vk4]so that doesn't quite meet code.[/s:7ncz8vk4] Sorry I didn't look at the piece before I wrote that. It appears to meet the code and is a pretty nifty way of doing it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I used this. A little pricey, but I didn't want to drill into my skimmer. This can be installed at the pump inlet.

http://www.waterbonder.com/products.html
    Premier (Esther Williams) 24' x 52" Round AGP (13,500 gl.), Hayward 24" Pro-Series S244T Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump, AquaRite SWG, AquaComfort ACT-1100 Heat Pump, Jandy/Zodiac iAqualink Automation System with iPhone App, Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40
    My New Pool

8. Back To Top    #8

The surface area is 10.65 sq inches

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

pwrstrk, that is a very smart way of doing it. I've been putting off bonding my pool for a couple of seasons and wanted to tackle it this year, can you explain the process to get the lug into the PVC cap, I think that's a great idea.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

10. Back To Top    #10

Cramer thats just slip plug glued into the tee. I forget what size the threaded hole is. just take the water bonder with you to size it up. Thread sealent and your good to go.
    Jeff

11. Back To Top    #11

So you just drilled a hole into the plug that was a bit smaller than the lug threads, applied some sealant to the lug threads and then hand screwed it into the cap?
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

12. Back To Top    #12

Cramar, I think you're missing something. That's not a plug in pwrstrk's pic. It's a threaded reducer, so the bonder just screws into it. No drilling or tapping required.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Bingo, there's the missing part, I get it now, thanks Bama.
    Such a simple solution...so simple I'm baffled

14. Back To Top    #14

That's right Bama. I should have said reducer. My fault.

Jeff

15. Back To Top    #15

Here is a picture of how I will be water bonding my 24' pool.....Will this work and or pass codes? I have already drilled, tapped and sealed the plug and attached the copper lug.

[attachment=0:2nqfiwt3]20130424_134308.jpg[/attachment:2nqfiwt3]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Location--Charleston S.C

16. Back To Top    #16

That link takes me to gmail.
    Jeff

17. Back To Top    #17

Yea,,I seem to be having a problem linking my photos from Picasa...
    I can see the photos when I click on the link....
    Location--Charleston S.C

18. Back To Top    #18

It technically won't pass code because there's not 9in² touching the water. Practically it's probably enough.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

What is that made out of and where did you get it. I've never seen a water bonder like that. Also you need to use bare copper wire. #8awg is the size

. Is it a steel pipe plug ?

Jeff

20. Back To Top    #20

Yes its a pipe plug, I drilled a 1/4" hole in it, tapped it out and fastned the grounding lug to it.
    I can replace the wire with solid bare wire. I have not installed this yet, I wanted to get y'all's opinions and comments before I continued with the hard plumb.
    All comments and sugestions are encouraged and welcome.
    In the few days of discovering this site I have learned quite allot and am learning as much as I can to make my pool as safe as i can.... Thanks to the great help here yall are making it possible.
    Location--Charleston S.C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast