Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover on or off?

1. Back To Top    #1

Northern Connecticut

Solar cover on or off?

Hi All,
    It's cold here in Connecticut but the kids have already been swimming I would like to heat up the water to avoid hypothermia in the kiddies! I have a few questions...

I say solar cover on all the time even when it is sunny cuz the cover heats the pool with the little bubbles...I think I read here cover off during the sunny part of the day???
    Which is better?

Second, my heat pump doesn't seem to be putting in heated water. The water temp is 60 and the air temp is 62. Will the heat pump work at those temps? On a side note, I ran the heater with the water at 45 and air at 60 and it went into a defrosting you think I broke it?

24,000 20x42 double roman end in ground pool being built. Start date june13, 2012.
    Finished July 4th, 2012, sports pool, vinyl,SWG, DE filter, fountains. Heat pump,
    First Pool Ever!

2. Back To Top    #2

Warner Robins, GA

Re: Solar cover on or off?

In your climate I would say leave it on all the time. It helps with evpaoration loss which is the biggest factor of cooling. It will also help with your heat pump electricity costs.

Defrost mode on your heat pump ios normal. You didnt "break" it

Depending if you have a reversing valve (units that cool as well have this) your heat pump may only operate with ambient air temps above 48 - 50 degrees. Most units with a reversing valve can operate at a slightly lower temp and use an active defrost.

Those without a revrsing valve generally just defrost from ambient air and you have to wait until the unit passively defrosts.

16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Solar cover on or off?

Clear covers allow the sun to shine through and heat the water. Most tinted covers block some of the heating effect of the sun. Like the effect of tinted windows on your car.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.