intex 24x12 ultr frame pool question

Apr 23, 2013
WalMart sells them $999. I know people have talked about this brand but it seems like everyone takes them down in the winter time.
Will this pool survive if left up year round? I would like to build a deck around part of it but want to make sure that it will last. Through the Arizona heat and cold seasons without destroying the liner. Aside from getting a better pump as others have said. Can I get long years out of this pool? Or would I have to invest in a pool like a galvanized type pool?
Thanks

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-24-x-12-x-52-Ultra-Frame-Rectangular-Swimming-Pool/22061258?_mm=

Hi and welcome! :wave:

I only set my intex up last year so I'm personally not sure how many years these pools will last. I would imagine tho, that how well the site is prepared and how well the pool is cared for would be major factors. They are designed to be temporary and being so, to be taken down each year. I left mine up this past winter (our winters are very mild here) and everything is fine. There are many on this board in harsher climates that have left their intex pools up over the winter and I'm sure they'll be along shortly to share and comment.

The lower cost of these pools was what allowed me to have the pool in the first place. I figured it would give me the opportunity to try my hand at pool ownership without breaking the bank and that if I found it wasn't for me, I would not have bitten off more than I could chew. So, my thinking was that if I can get at least 3 years out of this one I'll be very happy. However if it holds up another 2 or 3 years after that, I'll be totally ecstatic! :party:

TFP is the best pool care support system that I've come across and the TF100 testing kit was my single most important investment in my pool. Do yourself a favor and no matter what brand or size pool you wind up getting, invest in a great test kit. It'll make you your life so much easier and your pool care so much less expensive and labor intensive. A few minutes a day to stay on top of things and you'll have a wonderful time.

( I do not work for TFP. I simply believe that the system and the advise on this board are invaluable.) :goodjob:

Thanks for the info. Bummer that I have to take it down as the season ends though. Thats alot of water. I'm wondering if I should go for a permanent above ground pool like the doughboy 15' or 18' so I dont have to take it down and build a deck around it.

I was under the impression from reading that people take it down after the season ends to make it last longer. I would be happy if i was wrong thought. From what Ive been reading people take it down cause they developed rust on the bars. And I live in Arizona where the summer can be 110 and the winter can get to 10 degrees. And im worried that the climate changes will destroy it. The sun pretty much bakes everything here and destroys it.
I guess making sure to put a cover when not in use will help make the liner last longer. But i'm also worried about the rust that others have talked about

I've had mine up for a year now and I live in NE Florida. I have a couple of small spots that I intend to sand and spray with rustolium. I started with a blue easy set pool two years ago. I killed that one with neglect. Completely my fault. Last year I wanted a better pool and with the ultra frame I got more pool for the buck and am extremely happy with it. I figured $1000 for a pool to see if we'd take good care of it made much more sense than $5000 or $10000 only to find we didn't use it or didn't take care of it. I am glad I went this route.. My pool stays up year round. I did not close it last winter but I will this year. Including covering it up tight. I expect it to last a few good years and when/IF it fails, I may well go intex again. I couldn't have touched a 26' "permanent" pool for the price.

Like I said tho, there are others on here in more extreme climates that have intex pools and a lot of them keep theirs up year round. They just close it properly just like a more permanent pool.

I'll keep checking back and see what they have to tell you.

I have the same pool. Put it up last year and left it up through the winter here in Virginia. I think at one time I had 2 inches of ice in the pool. I opened mine about 3 weeks ago added water because I had it lower than the plumbing holes and put in 3 or 4 bags of salt and back to beautiful water. Now I'm looking for a DIY solar system so I can get in it sooner. I am going to build a small deck and get a plastic deck ladder because the metal one that comes with it rusts very fast with the salt water system. I would say if you deck your pool that should shade the sides and extend the life of the pool. Oh and make sure you use the insulated foam padding down under the pool. makes a nice smooth bottom. In hind sight I would have not put down the tarp over the foam pad since it's already falling apart and now I have blue confetti blowing all over the place. I put down nine 4X8x1/2 sheets of blue foam for 12X24 and butted the support blocks right up against the side of the foam. don't skimp on the blocks. the bigger and thicker the better. I had three break but they are holding so far. I would put blocks all the way around the pool and not worry about spaces between them I think it would look better and I plan on doing that someday when I drain the pool. Once you have it filled there will be about a foot of the foam pad showing all the way around the pool and the support legs will be about 6 to 8 inches past the foam pad.

Good luck with the solar Zaxs, I've been messing with this for 3 weeks now and STILL can't get them working. Don't believe "easy set up" it's not. Hoses never fit, leaks all over the place, it's been a nightmare trying to deal with the solar, if you're going to do it have a professional come in and install. the 300 bucks you planned to spend will easily turn into 800... :(

I have 1 adapter that came with the pool
http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/repl ... 10722.html
I found that this adapter can be screwed down tight on 1" PVC pipe so all I need is one more adapter and then do everything in PVC I plan on going into a PVC Y and then to a 1 " to 1/2 in fitting with valves then run the water through the black 1/2 in sprinkler tubing and run that on the roof then back to another PVC Y fitting and back to the plumbing. I will put the adapter between the filter and the SWG. I'll let you know parts list and cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have just ordered our new Intex 12 x 24 x 52 rectangular ultra frame pool to replace our 15 x 42 round pool.
We had the 15 foot pool installed for a little under 9 years and it has given the kids 8 years of fun.
We live 20 miles south of London and the temperatures have varied from -8 to 28+ during that time.
So I don't believe it is necessary to drain and pack the pool each year, in fact I believe you are better off leaving it up.
I'll see if the rectangle lasts as long as the round pool!

My belief is that dismantling the frame and folding the liner would fatigue the materials that those parts are made of.
On the other hand some of the horizontal tubes on my pool were rusted through, but after nearly 9 years of use who's to say that wouldn't be the case if I had packed them away.

Im located in northwest Indiana and have had 1 of these up for 3 years we have never taken it down. We drain about to below the filter by a few inches. The first 2 years we used Baquacil this year we switched to bleach. We kept the pool balanced as long as possible (before the first freeze) then drain and take the filter inside the garage (2-4 feet of snow here). I would be afraid to take down and store the liner I think it would promote dry rot unless you were extremely careful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.