Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just how much is the calculator telling me to add?

1. Back To Top    #1

Just how much is the calculator telling me to add?

For instance, for a 27,000 gallon pool, i put in my current total alkalinity (60) and my target number (120).
    the result was 4 oz. of baking soda.
    is that 4 oz. per 1000 gallons? or 4 oz. total?
    that seems like such a tiny amount.
    so if there's a formula for how much baking soda, calcium chloride, etc...i sure would appreciate it.

many thanks,
    Vintage 1963 20' x 40' elliptical, 27,000 gal. painted concrete, diving board, Sta-Rite Dura-Glas pump DIY upgrade 2009 with A.O. Smith B2981 E-Plus New Centurion High Efficiency Two-Speed Motor, full rated-1.67 SF 115V, 3/4 hp-12.4 amps high speed, 0.10 hp-2.2 amps low speed running 24/7 low speed, Hayward 225T sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Just how much is the calculator telling me to add?

I get 380 oz of baking soda. Check that you entered all the numbers right. And as an aside...why do you want to go so high on TA?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sacramento, CA

Re: Just how much is the calculator telling me to add?

Welcome to TFP.

Double check to make sure you have all your 0's in the gallons entered and ditto to the question Richard asked. Are you using trichlor as your primary chlorine source?
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM