SWG vs Bleach recommended levels

Apr 23, 2013
Are the differing values due to water chemistry differences ( salt water vs. no salt ) or SWG ‘efficiency’?

After many years of SWG usage I am reluctant to replace my dead cell again, but I am having trouble converting back to ‘traditional’ methods and need advice on getting my numbers back into the sweet spot. I currently have 3100ppm salt level and haven’t decided on liquid or solid bleach or a combination. Right now I am really wondering were all my chlorine is going. Shocked my pool 6 days ago with liquid chlorine up to 14ppm FC, left a pool floater in there with two 3” trichlor tabs, and back today after a trip out of town were the following numbers ( water is clear but spots of green algae appearing on poorly circulated areas )….
20,000 gallons water temp 75F
.5 FC 0 CC
7.8 Ph
155 TA
210 CH
35 CYA
( pool refilled 1 month ago with city water, Chandler AZ )

Welcome to TFP!

You need to shock your pool and maintain shock level until you no longer see spots of algae, your water is clear, you have no more than 0.5 ppm CC, and you lose no more than 1 ppm of FC overnight.

Once you are finished with the shocking process, you can run your pool as a normal chlorine pool using the guidelines listed in our Pool School section.

After shocking, you're probably gonna wanna jack that CYA# up to 50 or 60 for AZ to keep the sun from eating it alive. Raise your FC level accordingly.
See the CYA/chlorine chart in pool school.

JWRocket1 said:
Are the differing values due to water chemistry differences ( salt water vs. no salt ) or SWG ‘efficiency’?
We don't know for sure. There is some super-chlorination in the cell and SWG pools tend to maintain chlorine better, but we've seen automatically dosed pools from peristaltic pumps or The Liquidator that needed the higher manually-dosed recommended levels. Also, algae growing on walls that doesn't get circulated shouldn't be affected by what goes on in the cell. It could be the salt water, but we don't have enough higher salt pools without SWG to be definitive about that. Lastly, a good number of the SWG pools use 50 ppm Borates to help control the rate of pH rise and borates at that level are known to at least partially inhibit algae growth so it could be a statistical thing since pools vary in their proclivity to develop algae, largely due to the differing amounts of nutrients in the pool (including phosphates, though our FC/CYA recommendations prevent green and black algae at any phosphate level).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.