Polaris 280 Hose Swivels

Apr 23, 2013
I have a Polaris 280 & just replaced 2 Hose Swivels 8 months ago, because I noticed them leaking Water from the Middle Solid piece. I replaced them. But now I see the newer ones leaking as well. Are these suppose to release water from the middle part? Thanks in advance.

My similar model did the same and replaced them 6 months ago. So far no leaks (other than the connection to the power booster). Mine is 6 years old and thinking of replacing it with a robot. Leaks shouldn't matter if it's doing the job.

Thanks for the Reply. It does get stuck in the corner sometimes & not when it's Resetting. Someone told me to change the Wheel Bearings, but I tested Wheel RPM's and they are at 32 RPM's a Minute, which is Normal.

Mine gets stuck on the stairs often. Only one front wheel is rotating when this happens. I don't think my rear wheels turn at all (are they supposed to?). It seems to do a great job, I'm just starting to think I' might like a robot better.

I'm think all wheels are suppose to turn. I will check if my other wheels stop turning. And if they do, I'm thinking the ones that don't turn need the Ball Bearings replaced. Need an expert here to confirm.

All of the wheels are supposed to turn. The single wheel and the front wheel are driven directly by a gear at the end of the drive shaft. If one of them is not turning, then you need to adjust the wheel alignment so the gear shaft meshes with the teeth on the inside rim of each wheel. If there are teeth missing from a wheel, then it needs to be replaced. The rear wheel is driven by the small idler wheel that makes contact with the front wheel. A spring ensures that the idler wheel makes contact with both the front and rear wheels. If any of the wheels (including the idler wheel) have difficulty turning or appear wobbly, then you should replace the ball bearings (2 for each wheel).

All wheels turn & I see no wobbling. Again, 32 RPM. So the wheels are turning. What else could cause it to get stuck in a corner, where nothing is blocking it but the Pool Wall?

I decided to take my Platinum Legend apart since only one front wheel appeared to be driven. Sure enough the plastic teeth on the opposite wheel were basically gone on at least 50% of the wheel. I swapped it with a rear wheel and both front wheels are driven now and no longer gets stuck at stairs. The rear wheels are not driven (no pinion and rotate freely). All wheels are a little wobbly and probably need replacing, but I plan on putting that money into a robot soon.

As far as sticking in a corner, maybe adjusting the rear thrust jets at a different angle? See page 6 here: http://i.poolproducts.com/pdf/Polaris280.pdf

JimM01 said:
All of the wheels are supposed to turn. The single wheel and the front wheel are driven directly by a gear at the end of the drive shaft. If one of them is not turning, then you need to adjust the wheel alignment so the gear shaft meshes with the teeth on the inside rim of each wheel. If there are teeth missing from a wheel, then it needs to be replaced. The rear wheel is driven by the small idler wheel that makes contact with the front wheel. A spring ensures that the idler wheel makes contact with both the front and rear wheels. If any of the wheels (including the idler wheel) have difficulty turning or appear wobbly, then you should replace the ball bearings (2 for each wheel).

Last night it was not working at all. Getting Stuck, Only Turning right & not touching bottom. I tried adjusting Thrust Jet. Did not help. This morning I gave it a harder look. Seems the Front Wheel was Wobbling. Screw was lose. But when I turned to tighten the Plastic screw, I must have tightened too much & the head of screw snapped off. Now I Need to figure out how to get the rest of the screw out. I'll try with some needle nose pliers tonight. Purchased 4 screws for $7.50 on Amazon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you tried adjusting the float? I have found this has more effect than the thrust jet, on climbing action. Also, how old is your hose? I just got a new 280 last year and the hose is much more flexible than the hose on my old 180 (hose at least 10 years old). With the old Polaris, the stiffness in the hose would cause the cleaner to only turn one way after spring startup because it was coiled up all winter. Even after laying it out in the sun to warm up, I had to reattach the hose to the cleaner in order to make sure it was not bending to either side. In other words, as the hose gets older (more exposure to sun, chemicals, etc.) it gets stiffer and tends to develop a "memory" where it can bend to one side or the other. No amount of thrust or wheel adjustment can correct this when it happens. You just have to adjust the hose so the bend does not cause the cleaner to turn predominantly in one direction.

Have not adjusted the Float. I keep it screwed in all the way. Never thought about the hose though. You make some valid points. I'm pretty sure the major problem with mine was the loose & wobbly front wheel, but when I get the Screws I ordered, I will take a close look at all you mentioned Thanks. Also, I hope I can get that stuck screw out. It looks like it's going to be a pain to get out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.