Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bonding the pool light niche -- How safe is safe ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bonding the pool light niche -- How safe is safe ?

Follow up to a previous post.

In 2005 my pool was renovated and I have never been confident that the pool light (120v) niche is in continuity with the one bonding wire that goes to my pool sub-panel. the conduit from the light niche is PVC. The wires from the pool light go to a deck box. I had to drain the pool below the light recently so I tested the continuity of the niche and the light to my bonding wire individually.

I ran a wire from the copper niche, (with the light pulled out), to the bonding wire going to my sub-panel and it is not in contiuinity.

I ran the same wire to the metal frame of the light itself (pulled out of the copper niche) and it shows continuity with the bonding wire. I suspect that the continuity is from the lights ground wire. The bonding wire is grounded to my home, so is the pool light ground.

When the light is screwed into the niche its frame will ground the copper light niche ( which is in continuity with the bond wire through my house panel) Though it is not technically bonded.

The light is GFCI protected.

So, I understand that bonding is not grounding but ultimatly they are in continuity through the ground to my home so I would think they are all at the same potential. While I would like to have a separate bonding wire for my pool light niche it is encased in cement underground and not at all easily accessible.

Is this an unsafe situation? Or am I overthinking it since the continuity is there throught the ground and the light it is gfci protected. Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance.
    " A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    19,000 gallon sylvan pool, Easytouch 2 4p automation, Screenlogic interface, Intelliflo VF 3050 pump, Intellichem with Intellichlor 40 chlorinator/Muriatic acid, Raypac millivolt natural gas heater.Polaris pool cleaner with booster pump.Coverstar automatic cover hydraulic mechanism with PCS cover. Wet edge Luna quartz finish 2016. Northeast climate.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bonding the pool light niche -- How safe is safe ?

The bonding wire usually does not go to the sub-panel. Are you sure that's not just the ground wire? Checking continuity between the niche and the pump would be a better test.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

bonding wire goes to pumps and sub panel. all are in continuity.
    19,000 gallon sylvan pool, Easytouch 2 4p automation, Screenlogic interface, Intelliflo VF 3050 pump, Intellichem with Intellichlor 40 chlorinator/Muriatic acid, Raypac millivolt natural gas heater.Polaris pool cleaner with booster pump.Coverstar automatic cover hydraulic mechanism with PCS cover. Wet edge Luna quartz finish 2016. Northeast climate.

4. Back To Top    #4

clarification: the bonding wire is attached to the ground bar in my sub panel, not to the bonding lugs on the shell of the sub panel. because the ground bar and the bonding lugs all attach to the metal housing they are in continuity.

thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

While it's probably safe it technically does not meet code. To meet code, the bond wire from the niche has to be mechanically connected to the bonding loop with approved connectors.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for your reply,

I have to agree with you. I whish I knew more when my pool was redone. They probably removed a metal conduit from the niche and replaced it with PVC. Metal conduit could have been easily hooked up to my bonding. Thay also converted my low voltage pool light to 120. Somehow I felt safer with the low voltage.

Many thanks,

Adam