Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fix Intermatic timer or must I replace it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Fix Intermatic timer or must I replace it?

I noticed the other day that my pump was still running a couple hours after the shut-off time.
    This is the second or third time this has happened over the last couple months (that I have noticed).

I went out to inspect my settings and found that the dog had actually tripped the switch all the way, but the motor did not shut off.
    I had to throw the switch to ON (which did nothing of course) and back to OFF (which thankfully turned off the pump).

So my clock works OK, the dogs are tripping the switch OK, but once in a while the switch throws to OFF, but to no effect.

Here is a picture of the timer:

[attachment=0:1su3hl53]timer.jpg[/attachment:1su3hl53]

Do I have to buy a whole new unit (about $50 or so?) or is there some way that this can be fixed on the cheap?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1992 15X30 14000 Gal IG plaster, Pentair 011018 - Intelliflo VS Pump with Timer, 350 lb Sta-rite hrpb30 sand (yeah, the 32-bolt clamshell)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fix Intermatic timer or must I replace it?

I'd replace the dogs first. If that doesn't do it, you should be able to buy parts for it or even adjust the switch a little. There was a thread a while ago where someone adjusted the switch mount because the dogs weren't engaging the switch.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I'd replace the dogs first. If that doesn't do it, you should be able to buy parts for it or even adjust the switch a little. There was a thread a while ago where someone adjusted the switch mount because the dogs weren't engaging the switch.
    That's just it though - the OFF dog threw the on/off switch all the way to off, yet the motor was still running.
    1992 15X30 14000 Gal IG plaster, Pentair 011018 - Intelliflo VS Pump with Timer, 350 lb Sta-rite hrpb30 sand (yeah, the 32-bolt clamshell)

4. Back To Top    #4

It could be that the contacts are sticking shut.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know anything about those. Is there a way to tell? Is there a way to fix/prevent them from sticking? What do they look like?

Thanks Bama!

6. Back To Top    #6

It's been so long since I've torn into one that I can't remember what they look like. Turn the power off and pull the mechanism out and see what it looks like.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Turn the power off, take the mechanism out, there are two contacts on the back that should be touching when on and not touching when off. Play with the switch and see if you see anything weird. I wouldn't even mess with it though, i would just replace the mechanism. All it takes is a couple days of you not noticing that it stayed on the whole time to make it worth it