Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Solar Saddle - does this look ok?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Champaign, IL Area
    Posts
    30

    Solar Saddle - does this look ok?

    Getting all of my ducks in a row for the swim season and I'm looking to purchasing a lighter weight solar cover and some solar saddles. I found the ones at the link below, which look incredibly convienent but I'm wondering whether or not they are safe for my pool rail and walls. Thoughts? Do you think these particular ones might cause buckling issues or anything? I could not find them anywhere else except this one seller on ebay (who has a 100% rating). In theory, it would be nice to not have to attach them to the rail.

    http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Removable-Pool-S ... ~60_57.JPG
    21' round 54" AG Wilbar Quest; ~11,000 gal//Hayward Easy-Clear 125 sq ft Cartridge filter//Hayward Power-Flo LX 2hp pump

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,347

    Re: Solar Saddle - does this look ok?

    They might be fine, but I wouldn't want that hanging in the pool. A better solution to me would be to build some custom ones out of PVC. There's a thread where someone did that and they look nice. You could build them so they hook over the wall if you wanted to.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Champaign, IL Area
    Posts
    30

    Re: Solar Saddle - does this look ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    They might be fine, but I wouldn't want that hanging in the pool. A better solution to me would be to build some custom ones out of PVC. There's a thread where someone did that and they look nice. You could build them so they hook over the wall if you wanted to.
    I did see that but I don't think that would work for us. We have two toddlers and it looks like a prime climbing apparatus What most attracted me to the ones I posted is that I could easily attach and remove them if my kids decide that it's fun to mess around with the solar cover in the hooks or the hooks themselves when the cover is in the pool. I suppose I could also do that with the homemade one but it's more unweildy looking, I'd have to take it apart everytime I took it down or they might still try to mess with it.
    21' round 54" AG Wilbar Quest; ~11,000 gal//Hayward Easy-Clear 125 sq ft Cartridge filter//Hayward Power-Flo LX 2hp pump

  4. Back To Top    #4
    redhdgirl417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mid-Michigan
    Posts
    127

    Re: Solar Saddle - does this look ok?

    I bought the Solar Saddles from intheswim.com last year for our new pool and love them. Easy for me to take the cover off my 24' pool myself and put back on pool afterwards (usually drag it back over the pool when I'm getting ready to get out for the night). And about once a week if it's been really dry, I will wash it off with a high power spray as I'm folding it back on the saddles to get the dust and other debris off the top of the cover. And it's a Michigan company that prides itself on their product...sent me replacement pins when I accidentally pulled one of the saddles at an awkward angle and broke one.

    http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Covers/So ... er-Holder/
    13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    10,157

    Re: Solar Saddle - does this look ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by xtencornfield
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    They might be fine, but I wouldn't want that hanging in the pool. A better solution to me would be to build some custom ones out of PVC. There's a thread where someone did that and they look nice. You could build them so they hook over the wall if you wanted to.
    I did see that but I don't think that would work for us. We have two toddlers and it looks like a prime climbing apparatus What most attracted me to the ones I posted is that I could easily attach and remove them if my kids decide that it's fun to mess around with the solar cover in the hooks or the hooks themselves when the cover is in the pool. I suppose I could also do that with the homemade one but it's more unweildy looking, I'd have to take it apart everytime I took it down or they might still try to mess with it.

    I can definitely see your point! I had the original ones n now my brother owns them n yes, they aren't easily removed once installed. This may work for you n your situation.

    On a side note... that's one big overlap liner! lol

    Good luck this year with your pool! Safety first!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

    24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    169

    Re: Solar Saddle - does this look ok?

    Don't have anything to offer, but I found this website just earlier this evening and was wondering if they work well, if they are OK with adding the additional weight and if anyone that has one wanted to give a first hand experience.

    I don't know anything about this website, whether it is legit or not. Looks like the same type of thing, but currently on sale for $69.95. Every penny counts!!!!

    http://www.backyardcitypools.com/Solar- ... Holder.htm
    2014 Used 33'x54" Wilbar Morada,deep end approx 28,800 gal.
    Hayward S180T1580S pump/filter combo,
    Pentair Aqualuminator light/return, Aquabot S2-50
    TF-100 kit, Initial fill with pond water
    South Central Iowa

  7. Back To Top    #7
    redhdgirl417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mid-Michigan
    Posts
    127

    Re: Solar Saddle - does this look ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltinMom
    Don't have anything to offer, but I found this website just earlier this evening and was wondering if they work well, if they are OK with adding the additional weight and if anyone that has one wanted to give a first hand experience.

    I don't know anything about this website, whether it is legit or not. Looks like the same type of thing, but currently on sale for $69.95. Every penny counts!!!!

    http://www.backyardcitypools.com/Solar- ... Holder.htm
    Same item I linked and a great price!
    13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    169

    Re: Solar Saddle - does this look ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by redhdgirl417
    Same item I linked and a great price!
    OOPS!!!! Didn't realize it was the same item. Also, I didn't see that the OP was wanting something easily removable, but that is certainly understandable if there are little ones around.

    Safety first!!!!!
    2014 Used 33'x54" Wilbar Morada,deep end approx 28,800 gal.
    Hayward S180T1580S pump/filter combo,
    Pentair Aqualuminator light/return, Aquabot S2-50
    TF-100 kit, Initial fill with pond water
    South Central Iowa

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Champaign, IL Area
    Posts
    30

    Re: Solar Saddle - does this look ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    Quote Originally Posted by xtencornfield
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    They might be fine, but I wouldn't want that hanging in the pool. A better solution to me would be to build some custom ones out of PVC. There's a thread where someone did that and they look nice. You could build them so they hook over the wall if you wanted to.
    I did see that but I don't think that would work for us. We have two toddlers and it looks like a prime climbing apparatus What most attracted me to the ones I posted is that I could easily attach and remove them if my kids decide that it's fun to mess around with the solar cover in the hooks or the hooks themselves when the cover is in the pool. I suppose I could also do that with the homemade one but it's more unweildy looking, I'd have to take it apart everytime I took it down or they might still try to mess with it.

    I can definitely see your point! I had the original ones n now my brother owns them n yes, they aren't easily removed once installed. This may work for you n your situation.

    On a side note... that's one big overlap liner! lol

    Good luck this year with your pool! Safety first!!!
    I didn't even notice that in the picture until this post. That's funny! Wonder how they managed that.

    Anywho, thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to give these a shot and see what happens. They aren't terribly expensive, so it's worth a try.
    21' round 54" AG Wilbar Quest; ~11,000 gal//Hayward Easy-Clear 125 sq ft Cartridge filter//Hayward Power-Flo LX 2hp pump

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Re: Solar Saddle - does this look ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by xtencornfield View Post
    I didn't even notice that in the picture until this post. That's funny! Wonder how they managed that.

    Anywho, thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to give these a shot and see what happens. They aren't terribly expensive, so it's worth a try.
    Being a handyman I set out to make a set. The first loop turnrd out looking like the other attempts, not good. Bought a set, cost about $20.00 more, that is not worth this guys time. Bought the real Solar Saddle they look good and work really well.
    22.6K gal, 20'x40', w spa freeform white plaster Sylvan 2011 pool. Rheem Raypak 400K Digital NG heater, Jandy PlusHP 2.0 pump, Jandy 48sqft DE filter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •