Shocked pool last night and it turned green within the hour

Re: Shocked pool last night and it turned green within the h

I'm not on well water. I'm starting to think that maybe the fact that the CYA is 50, supposedly, that TA needs to be around 100 instead of 70 since I am using the trichlor tabs and "shocking" with cal-hypo. Once I get out from under this stuff I've bought I may do it differently but right now I need to make the best with what I have.

Using trichlor is only avoided so that one is not constantly fighting nascent algae when the readings get so high that super high levels of chlorine are required to prevent outbreaks. But using trichlor and your TA level have nothing -- at least that I know of -- to do with clear green water.

Clear green water usually means oxidized metals such as copper or iron. So it has to be something you either added inadvertently that contained copper or iron, etc, or something that was blown in. Either way, a metal sequestrate is your best bet.

I think it may have something to do with the clarifier. I have seen clarifier result in a clear dull green water before.

I don't think this is your problem, but some chlorine tablets contain copper. From what I am reading, you have not used enough to cause a problem, but what ingredients are listed on your tablets?

They're the Leslies 3" tabs, supposedly they contain - •99% Trichloro-s-triazinetrione and I'm not sure what else. I'll have to look when I get home.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.