Just got a 2 speed motor would like to wire it to run at low

pooly1

Mar 24, 2012
Michigan
Anyone have a link to a diagram to what connections I need to make with my old cord to have this new pump run at the low speed only. Only reason I'm doing this is because I have no use for the high speed until the end of summer when I get my skimmer fixed.

Re: Just got a 2 speed motor would like to wire it to run at

Post a picture of the motor plate if you do not understand the diagram.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Good point. Although my assumption was that the motor did not come with a switch and pooly1 did not want to add one at this time ... maybe a read a lot between the lines ;)

Well, I am just being a busybody now but wouldn't it be a bit more practical to get a switch (I am stunned a 2-speed doesn't have a switch), wire it for 2-speed and then keep it on "low"? Won't you need "high" to backwash? Vacuum?

From what I have seen many of the 2-speed motors do not come with switches. I think if you get the Superflo pump, you get a switch. But motors alone I do not think typically come with them.

Its the motor I'm replacing so its barebones. Reusing old cord and replacing the seal. My skimmer line is blocked so not able to vacuum or skim. So at this point I have Pool skim for skimming and Aqua bot turbo jet does the vacuuming for me. I just need water to circulate and filter. I have some extensive concrete removal to do and trenching of 60' feet of pipe. After just getting my new liner installed I have to set this project back a few months.

duraleigh said:
Well, I am just being a busybody now but wouldn't it be a bit more practical to get a switch (I am stunned a 2-speed doesn't have a switch), wire it for 2-speed and then keep it on "low"? Won't you need "high" to backwash? Vacuum?

When I got my Centurion (ex- A.O. Smith) 2-speed for my WhisperFlo, none of the motors I looked at came with switches. They sell a separate add-on for the on-board switch. I think the assumption is most folks have timers or automation to control the speed. I wired in my own switch I put on the side of the timer box for a total cost of about $7 for switch, weather condom thingy, and 4 feet of wire for the extra wire run.

We really can't help the OP without at least the make and model number or a pic of the wire diagram and terminal block. Guessing can be dangerous.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

What does the name plate on the side of the motor show for wiring instructions?

You just need to attach one of the LINE wires to the Common terminal and the other LINE wire to the low speed terminal and the ground to ground.

pooly1 said:
Presto!AO Smith SQS1102R 1 / .16 3450/1725 230 1.65 9.5/2.5 33 lb

Progress. First, you could buy the switch kit for ~$30 http://www.cshincorporated.com/product_info.php/products_id/12763 and make life easy having high speed a switch flick away. I'll come up with a wiring suggestion in a minute.

EDIT: If you have 3 terminals, A, L1, and L2, and I think you do, then you want your two hots to go to A and L2. A is low and L2 is common. L1 and L2 would give you high speed.

Well I think I just purchased the wrong switch. I decided to wire up the high and low, so I went out and bought a DPST switch and Im thinking I should of bought a DPDT? right now it just plugs into a wired outlet 220. :hammer:

What you need is a SPDT switch. Only one power leg is switched to select speed.

You would want to use a DPST for an on/off switch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.