Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just got a 2 speed motor would like to wire it to run at low

1. Back To Top    #1

Just got a 2 speed motor would like to wire it to run at low

Anyone have a link to a diagram to what connections I need to make with my old cord to have this new pump run at the low speed only. Only reason I'm doing this is because I have no use for the high speed until the end of summer when I get my skimmer fixed.
    16 x 32 Inground Vinyl 21000, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. Raypak Heater, Crystal Flo Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just got a 2 speed motor would like to wire it to run at

Post a picture of the motor plate if you do not understand the diagram.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Color me obtuse but why can't the switch be left on "Low"? What am I missing?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Good point. Although my assumption was that the motor did not come with a switch and pooly1 did not want to add one at this time ... maybe a read a lot between the lines
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Correct and Correct comes with no switch and do not want one just yet.
    16 x 32 Inground Vinyl 21000, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. Raypak Heater, Crystal Flo Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Well, I am just being a busybody now but wouldn't it be a bit more practical to get a switch (I am stunned a 2-speed doesn't have a switch), wire it for 2-speed and then keep it on "low"? Won't you need "high" to backwash? Vacuum?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

From what I have seen many of the 2-speed motors do not come with switches. I think if you get the Superflo pump, you get a switch. But motors alone I do not think typically come with them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Its the motor I'm replacing so its barebones. Reusing old cord and replacing the seal. My skimmer line is blocked so not able to vacuum or skim. So at this point I have Pool skim for skimming and Aqua bot turbo jet does the vacuuming for me. I just need water to circulate and filter. I have some extensive concrete removal to do and trenching of 60' feet of pipe. After just getting my new liner installed I have to set this project back a few months.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Well, I am just being a busybody now but wouldn't it be a bit more practical to get a switch (I am stunned a 2-speed doesn't have a switch), wire it for 2-speed and then keep it on "low"? Won't you need "high" to backwash? Vacuum?
    When I got my Centurion (ex- A.O. Smith) 2-speed for my WhisperFlo, none of the motors I looked at came with switches. They sell a separate add-on for the on-board switch. I think the assumption is most folks have timers or automation to control the speed. I wired in my own switch I put on the side of the timer box for a total cost of about $7 for switch, weather condom thingy, and 4 feet of wire for the extra wire run.

We really can't help the OP without at least the make and model number or a pic of the wire diagram and terminal block. Guessing can be dangerous.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

10. Back To Top    #10

Presto!AO Smith SQS1102R 1 / .16 3450/1725 230 1.65 9.5/2.5 33 lb

11. Back To Top    #11

What does the name plate on the side of the motor show for wiring instructions?

You just need to attach one of the LINE wires to the Common terminal and the other LINE wire to the low speed terminal and the ground to ground.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pooly1
    Presto!AO Smith SQS1102R 1 / .16 3450/1725 230 1.65 9.5/2.5 33 lb
    Progress. First, you could buy the switch kit for ~$30 http://www.cshincorporated.com/produ...ducts_id/12763 and make life easy having high speed a switch flick away. I'll come up with a wiring suggestion in a minute.

EDIT: If you have 3 terminals, A, L1, and L2, and I think you do, then you want your two hots to go to A and L2. A is low and L2 is common. L1 and L2 would give you high speed.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

13. Back To Top    #13

Okay I figured it might be that easy. Just have to figure out what terminal is the low speed.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by pooly1
    Okay I figured it might be that easy. Just have to figure out what terminal is the low speed.
    See my edit above.

15. Back To Top    #15

got it

16. Back To Top    #16

Well I think I just purchased the wrong switch. I decided to wire up the high and low, so I went out and bought a DPST switch and Im thinking I should of bought a DPDT? right now it just plugs into a wired outlet 220.

17. Back To Top    #17

What you need is a SPDT switch. Only one power leg is switched to select speed.

You would want to use a DPST for an on/off switch.
    Jason, TFP Moderator