Should I be worrying over TA and PH while chlorine is high?

Apr 16, 2013
Eatonton Georgia
Let me start this off by saying, no I don't have a test kit that will measure high chlorine levels. Not yet. I'm also out of CYA test reagent. I have managed to get my pool from green water to cloudy water though. It took a large water change because based on what I've been told here, I was concerned with my CYA level being through the roof because of all the tri-chlor I had added when I didn't know any better. I also got a ton of leaves out of the pool while the water was down. I added a lot of bleach during the water change and my chlorine level is higher than what my test kit will even measure. MY PH is also high, 8.2 and my TA is relatively low at 60 ppm. I'm trying to get the cloudiness out of the water now and my research indicates that I need to get the PH and TA right to do so. I thought I read in the shocking directions though that PH readings would not be accurate with high amounts of chlorine though. Should I just leave things alone for now till the chlorine level comes down some or can I go ahead and be playing with the TA and PH levels?
Regards,
Michael

Re: Should I be worrying over TA and PH while chlorine is hi

Noah_Count said:
duraleigh said:
Should I just leave things alone for now till the chlorine level comes down
Absolutely.
OK will do. I guess then I should assume that my TA and PH readings are erroneous or could be erroneous right now?
Regards,
Michael
pH may be wrong because high FC reacts with the indicator and changes its color.

TA is the last thing to mess with. It tends to push pH up and can affect the CSI (likelihood of scale) but has no effect on the swimmability of the pool. You drink and bathe in the same water that goes in your pool without harm, right?

PH will be erroneous, TA is probably right but is not critical. Deal with the TA once everything else is good, and there's no hurry even then. Your PH will climb a little faster with high TA, just use Muratic acid to bring PH down, that will also lower TA. Depending on your fill TA level topping off may cause TA to go up. It does with mine but I don't worry about it too much. With a vinyl pool you don't want to let it get out of control but it's not as critical.

Looks like Richard and I were saying the same thing :)

My biggest concern now is the cloudiness but it can wait. Last year I was throwing everything at the pool I could, first to get rid of the green and then to combat the cloudiness. I know better now but I'm in about my fourth year of pool ownership and it's probably been since the very first year since I've had that really crystal clear sparkling look. I'd really like to get back to that but don't want to mess up what I've accomplished with impatience. I was in the Wally World today picking up some groceries and I always browse though the pool aisle when I'm there. Used to do it looking for solutions to problems, now just for the heck of it. Anyway, saw the "Angry Egg" that "clears cloudy pool water" for 20 bucks. Yet another magic pill I guess. Trying very hard to get out of that mode of thinking.
Regards,
Michael

Cloudiness is usually a filter issue, assuming that the algae is actually dead. Keep rinsing the cartridge if that is possible. Circulate 24/7.

Noah_Count said:
My biggest concern now is the cloudiness but it can wait. Last year I was throwing everything at the pool I could, first to get rid of the green and then to combat the cloudiness. I know better now but I'm in about my fourth year of pool ownership and it's probably been since the very first year since I've had that really crystal clear sparkling look. I'd really like to get back to that but don't want to mess up what I've accomplished with impatience. I was in the Wally World today picking up some groceries and I always browse though the pool aisle when I'm there. Used to do it looking for solutions to problems, now just for the heck of it. Anyway, saw the "Angry Egg" that "clears cloudy pool water" for 20 bucks. Yet another magic pill I guess. Trying very hard to get out of that mode of thinking.
Regards,
Michael
Never heard of an Angry Egg until this. What's in it? I can't find an MSDS online anywhere. Is it a "shock powder" or a clarifier or a flocculent? How will it affect pH? Will it raise CYA?

Richard320 said:
Noah_Count said:
Regards,
Michael
Never heard of an Angry Egg until this. What's in it? I can't find an MSDS online anywhere. Is it a "shock powder" or a clarifier or a flocculent? How will it affect pH? Will it raise CYA?
I have no idea. I believe it's made by Bioguard. They say it's a "proprietary" non chlorine formula. I watched it on you tube. It's actually a pretty cool gimmick but I have no idea how or if it even works. You toss it in your pool and it sinks to the bottom and starts fizzing and foaming. When it's through, it floats to the top and you net it out. It's supposed to release some type of " cleaning foam" and in 24 hours the pool is supposed to be clear. I'm skeptical. As I said, I'm trying to get away from magic bullet type thinking. :roll: All the stores around here like Lowes and Wally World are selling them. They are not algecides. They specifically state that and just say they are for clearing "cloudy pools" http://angryegg.net/
Regards,
Michael

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Based on this FAQ, Angry Egg™ is non-chlorine shock (MPS, Dupont Oxone brand), and sink-to-float technology that has some effervescent bubbles. They note the following:

Are there any unusual conditions in which Angry Egg Pool Treatment shouldn’t be used?
Angry Egg Pool Treatment is not intended to clear water that is a result of chlorine demand, algae blooms or an excessive amount of contaminants. In these instances a professional should be consulted before using Angry Egg Pool Treatment.

What are the active ingredients in Angry Egg Pool Treatment?
Angry Egg Pool Treatment is a non-chlorine water treatment powered by proprietary DuPont™ Oxone®.

Smykowski said:
Resist, resist! Seriously, cloudy is a filter issue. Give it time.
I'm getting stuff I can see out of my cartridge everyday. Problem is I don't know if it's catching the really fine stuff or if that's sneaking through and being blown back into the pool. It's a brand new cartridge though, just replaced a couple of weeks ago. I wish I had a better filter. Pool package came from Rec Factory Warehouse while they were still in business and I have no doubt they put the minimum filter they could get by with on it. One thing they did when we bought it was quote my wife one price one the phone and then, after we had driven two vehicles 60 miles one way to pick it up they tried to up the price. We got it at the originally quoted price after raising cain but it's no wonder they are out of business now.
Michael

Today's test results are interesting FC 3.0 PH 7.2 TA 70 ppm Also, there is just a tiny bit of leaves at one spot on the bottom and while the pool is still cloudy, I'm convinced I can see them with a bit more clarity than yesterday. They were more of a brown shadowy blob yesterday and today I can see more texture to the leaves. I think it's clearing. I now have SWG running again. The only thing I don't know is what my CYA is. It had to be high before the water change but then I took the water way down so I don't know how much remains. Hope to be ordering CYA reagent within a few days.
Michael

Low chlorine levels now

PH is now 7.6 and my TA is around 70 to 80 ppm and I think I should be cool with those numbers but my FC is non existent it seems. Test sample is dang near clear. I have not put any more bleach in the pool since the partial drain and refill but I have had my SWG running the past several days. Pool is still slightly cloudy. I'm convinced my CYA level is probably too low now. I'm saving up trying to get a better test kit or at least to get some CYA reagent but I'm toying with the idea of if I should risk putting some chlorine pucks or possibly some powdered shock in to try and bring the CYA up some. Just don't want to go too far and have to do the whole partial drain/refill biz again. Thoughts?
Michael

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.