Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused after Pool School :)

1. Back To Top    #1

Confused after Pool School :)

First off this is our first pool we just moved in 2 weeks ago. Pool looks ok just a little cloudy. I was reading about the filter pump in pool school. I went and checked my PSI while the pump is off and its reading 42 PSI? So I did a backwash and it went up to 52 PSI. By the way when we looked thru the sight window it was very yellow and had little bits of trash in it but then got clear after a minute or so. This was also out first time doing anything with the pump. The previous owner said the pump needs to run at least 8 hours a day. After reading I believe it should be 3 to 4 hours. Is there a way to get my PSI down or my gauge bad? How often should I backwash. Do I use any of the other settings on the pump?

Its a 17500 gallon pool.
    Chlorine level is good but I need to raise the Ph level according to the pool store.
    17,500 Gallons - IG - Vinyl - Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confused after Pool School :)

Welcome to TFP!

Your gauge is bad. They fail often. You can get one fairly cheaply at a pool store or a farm store.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok I will get one this weekend. Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Howdy, Robione!

Unsure of filter type? Not good, especially if you backwashed a Diatomaceous Earth filter and didn't recoat it. Look around the filter for a brand or a model number. Take a picture and post it. Compare it to the pictures in pool-school/visual_encyclopedia . Do something to identify it! It's important.

Next in importance, after having flow and filtration, is the pool chemistry. Don't trust the pool store. Just go back through some of the older threads and you'll see all kinds of horror stories. Keep studying Pool School, and read up on test kits. You'll need one if you want to have the pool perfect. I do all my own testing, never buy any magic elixirs from the pool store, and you can toss a dime in my deep end and call heads or tails. From the deck. Any day of the year.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok Its a Hayward sand filter.

I'm out of town and had my wife checking things as I read! LOL.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to tfp, Robione

Quote Originally Posted by Robione
    Pool looks ok just a little cloudy.
    This likely means you need to do the shocking process. First, if you have them, post a full set of test results. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...efore_you_post
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok I got the data and filter info:

8. Back To Top    #8

BTW I have since added chlorine. 3 tablets

9. Back To Top    #9

BTW I have since added chlorine. 3 tablets
    Stop adding tablets, according to the pool store results you posted, your cya is too high already. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-..._chlorine_pool

If the results above are correct (pool stores often get wrong cya values), then you need to do a drain/refill of your pool to get the cya down to ~50 ppm before anything else. The problem here is you don't really know if their results are right and therefore you don't know if you really need to do the drain refill. I would encourage you to get an appropriate test kit...see: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison If their results are right, this will require draining about 45% of your water then refilling.

Then you can proceed with the shocking process using bleach/liquid chlorine to raise the FC level.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

By the way, that filter is about perfectly matched for you pool volume (although bigger is usually better, up to a point with sand filters).

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok Its a Hayward sand filter.

I'm out of town and had my wife checking things as I read! LOL.
    Great! That means no harm done.

Everyone else has covered the rest of it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok I got my test kit, how do my numbers look

[attachment=0:129kdzdh]uploadfromtaptalk1367030550480.jpg[/attachment:129kdzdh]

Attached Images Attached Images

13. Back To Top    #13

Are your numbers on the left? FC is way too low. And CH of 8 is not possible, each drop is 10ppm.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Nice phone, I have its big brother
    What test kit did you use? You want to worry about chlorine (FC) first. Since its cloudy, you want to shock. You can see the link above in Linens post.

- Posted from Galaxy Note II
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Are your numbers on the left? FC is way too low. And CH of 8 is not possible, each drop is 10ppm.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Yes my numbers are on the left. Yea it should be 80 ppm. It took 8 drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Vette
    Nice phone, I have its big brother
    What test kit did you use? You want to worry about chlorine (FC) first. Since its cloudy, you want to shock. You can see the link above in Linens post.

- Posted from Galaxy Note II
    Lol, Thanks. I added 2 Gallons of chlorine. More than I needed but it's going to rain tomorrow, I figured it wouldn't hurt. I will have to read up on how to shock it.

16. Back To Top    #16

Oh and I got a Taylor K2006

17. Back To Top    #17

Excellent!
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

18. Back To Top    #18

On the FC test use the 10 ml sample size and not the 25 ml sample...it saves reagents and you really do not need better than 0.5 ppm FC resolution.

For now everything look fine except for FC. As mentioned before, you need to do the shocking process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool

You shocking FC level is 13 ppm FC for your 30 ppm cya (from poolcalculator.com).

19. Back To Top    #19

Ok after reading a little bit. I got my pump running and had added 2 Gallons of liquid bleach. I do have some "shock" powder should I add some or should the bleach be enough.

Also I have a chlorinator, should it have tablets in it and what should I set the little dial on the side of the chlorinator to? Up to this point I have been using one of those floaty things.

20. Back To Top    #20

Oh and the previous owner had the pump set to run 8 hours a day. From what I have read it only needs to run 3 to 4 hours a day? Is that correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast