Should I shock? Can algae grow with near perfect levels?

janthony

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 27, 2012
Clarksville, TN
Quick Background on my situation:
Almost done with a diy build that started 10/2012.
Installed liner and filled pool 11/2012- no circulation for 3-4 month ,but kept clean at occasional bleach
added thru winter,water stayed clear.
Pump and swg has been running now for about 4-5 wks and have following test results.
FC-3
CC-0
CYA-60
TA-70
CH-90
PH-7.5
The reason I am asking if I should shock is, I noticed a couple of green patches about 8"x 8" on the liner yesterday. I brushed them and vacuumed, but as a new pool owner I don't know if a little algae is normal even with proper test levels and you just clean it or if I have the beginnings of a problem. Since pool school is permanently tatooed in my brain now after over-reading I am guessing I should do OCLT, but I am unsure as a pool rookie. Thanks for any help?

ANY visible algae is not normal. Your FC is a bit low (should be around 5-7ppm) so you could try elevating your FC up to see if that gets rid of it but I would shock it according to the article in pool school.

janthony said:
I noticed a couple of green patches about 8"x 8" on the liner yesterday. I brushed them and vacuumed, but as a new pool owner I don't know if a little algae is normal even with proper test levels and you just clean it or if I have the beginnings of a problem.
As duraleigh said, visible algae is not normal for a properly maintained pool. I would raise your FC level to your pools shocking level and do the OCLT.

Also, your 3 ppm FC is right at the low limit for your 60 ppm cya and a swg. If sometime during the day the pool drops below 3, then algae can get a foothold.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.