Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I shock? Can algae grow with near perfect levels?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I shock? Can algae grow with near perfect levels?

Quick Background on my situation:
    Almost done with a diy build that started 10/2012.
    Installed liner and filled pool 11/2012- no circulation for 3-4 month ,but kept clean at occasional bleach
    added thru winter,water stayed clear.
    Pump and swg has been running now for about 4-5 wks and have following test results.
    FC-3
    CC-0
    CYA-60
    TA-70
    CH-90
    PH-7.5
    The reason I am asking if I should shock is, I noticed a couple of green patches about 8"x 8" on the liner yesterday. I brushed them and vacuumed, but as a new pool owner I don't know if a little algae is normal even with proper test levels and you just clean it or if I have the beginnings of a problem. Since pool school is permanently tatooed in my brain now after over-reading I am guessing I should do OCLT, but I am unsure as a pool rookie. Thanks for any help?
    34,000 gal., 20x40 Roman, IG Steel/Vinyl, 500# Hayward Sand Filter, 2HP Ecostar-VS, Savi Note LEDs, Autopilot Digital 220 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Should I shock? Can algae grow with near perfect levels?

ANY visible algae is not normal. Your FC is a bit low (should be around 5-7ppm) so you could try elevating your FC up to see if that gets rid of it but I would shock it according to the article in pool school.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by janthony
    I noticed a couple of green patches about 8"x 8" on the liner yesterday. I brushed them and vacuumed, but as a new pool owner I don't know if a little algae is normal even with proper test levels and you just clean it or if I have the beginnings of a problem.
    As duraleigh said, visible algae is not normal for a properly maintained pool. I would raise your FC level to your pools shocking level and do the OCLT.

Also, your 3 ppm FC is right at the low limit for your 60 ppm cya and a swg. If sometime during the day the pool drops below 3, then algae can get a foothold.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

[center:1plj0cza][youtube:1plj0cza]uijLXS-IJZM[/youtube:1plj0cza][/center:1plj0cza]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!