Cloudy Water, Zeobrite lifespan?

Good morning, we built out pool in 2001 and started it Jan. 31 2002. Subscribed and followed Ben Powell for years and now have the Taylor Drop test kit.

12,500 gallon gunite/plaster pool, Zeobrite in sand filter, Watermaid saltwater chlorinator on it’s second cell running at 5,000 ppm

Due to the impending drought water restrictions I pulled back the safety cover back in March. There was the usual layer of dirt and I knew my hardness was over 600ppm. Drained and refilled with 5500 gallons soft water to bring hardness down under 300ppm. On April 15th started pump and noticed light green water in skimmer, hit hard with bleach to 10 ppm. and added acid to bring pH back down under 7.5.

Removed cover Sunday to find cloudy water! Could see dirt on steps. Brush and Bleach back up to 10ppm, CYA 30-40 so added 2lbs I had on hand to a nylon grain bag in skimmer. Ran Filter and Polaris all day, Filter pressure rose from 10 to 20 as is normal and backwashed twice Sunday so I think my media is ok. Have run filter pump continuously for 42 hours, no dirt on the steps I can see and pressure is holding at 12psi Chlorine consumption has dropped but adding bleach to maintain 10ppm +. pH 7.2, Baking Soda to TA of 60. Water still to cloudy to see drain 6’ down.

I have never done the salt regen to the Zeobrite as we run a high salt concentration. But I have never used a media cleaner either. Have to go to pool store for CYA and replacement Taylor reagents so thinking the filter cleaner can’t hurt. Have never used any kind of flock/clarifying agent and hate to give any more money to pool store than absolutely necessary. Still have to replace salt, but need that reagent as well.

So does Zeobrite ever wear out? Do I need a clarifer?

Thanks!

Tha Beerman!

While shocking, leave the cover off as that will allow the CC to be better removed. Also for 40 ppm cya your shocking level should be 15 ppm FC (per poolcalculator.com). Keep it there until you pass all three "end of shocking" criteria simultaneously: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

I doubt the flock/clarifier will help your issue. Get rid of the organics first.

Can't speak to the zeobrite question.

Zeo will last for decades, probably longer than the filter, unless you have severe calcium scaling. Every couple of years you should clean and resettle the media in the filter. The zeo salt regeneration process serves no purpose and should not be done.

You should not need a clarifier.

Once the algae is all dead, you should see a visible improvement in water clarity from day to day. If you don't see any improvement day to day then either there is algae still alive or there is a problem with the filter.

Thanks again! I will clean and resettle Zeo per their instructions I found online AFTER I get the water clear. While the Polaris was stirring and sweeping I had to backwash twice so I think filtration is working. BTW I better change the sweeper bag. Even with a clear pool I sometimes forget that leafs in the bag are still in the pool and are a chlorine demand :) Also cleaned pump basket yesterday, it all adds up. Nope, I have to go into town to buy the reagents at Leslie's right after work, cant do this kind of chemistry guessing! Also have to buy CYA there and get back up to SWG recommendation of 70-80.

85 Sunday, 46 today! Winter go away!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.