Pool opening after draining half the pool in winter

May 1, 2011
Hey all, in short I had a post on here a couple months back where my under cover pump died, used siphon hoses to drain while ordering a new pump, forgot to remove one siphon hose, drained half of pool in the process since cover was on and I didnt see it, heavy rains then floated my liner, bad mess. Pool is full again now, liner sat back in place, and they are opening it today. Its a 28,000 gal inground SWG. It was drained to the point of about 2 inches deep in the shallow end, then filled back up with fresh water. So I know my water is in major need of everything.

Just wondering what I should do first. Test all levels then add everything needed at once? Shock first? Add salt? I know the salt and chlorine levels will be way off, probably everything with be. I do have a drop test kit recommended by everyone here. I have been reading pool school, just want to go through the right steps since I had a rough winter with this thing.

Is there a good way to test the salt levels, other than taking to pool store? Or just turn on the SWG and let it tell me?

Thanks

Just follow the steps here: pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

Get the water balanced using bleach and all the rest. If the standing water is greenish, you'll need to perform the shock process. Instructions are in pool school. Otherwise, once it's balanced, then add the salt. You can buy salt test strips from http://www.tftestkits.net or maybe at the local pool store. I'd recommend seeing where your salt level is before you start dumping bags in.

Also note, a lot of SWG don't work when the water is cold, so there may be no reason to hurry. Do you have kids? If so, check out where-do-you-put-the-salt-skimmer-or-pool-t47475.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.