Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this stuff?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this stuff?

Over the last few days, something started showing up on bottom of pool. We are in high pollen season and this may be what it is but I suppose being a new pool owner, I needed some confirmation.

Yesterday:

FC 4.5
    CC 0
    TA 80
    pH 7.5
    CH 110
    CYA 50 (have been bringing this up slowly)

This is what I have done so far:

I did an OCLT (at least I hope I did it correctly) and this morning the FC was still at 4.5. I did disable the SWG so it wasn't producing any chlorine overnight.
    Turned up the RPM on the pump to see if this would help with the cloudy water and it did a bit but water still not as clear as it was before this stuff showed up.
    Vacuumed every evening but before I am finished, there is a bit more on the steps.
    Backwashed at least once.
    Put a sock over a return to see if something was coming out of filter.
    Kept waterfall off in case it was coming through it.
    I did "capture" some of this stuff and put it in a jar for 24 hours and it just sat on the bottom, just like the pool.

I don't think it is organic and if it is just pollen, OK. I can live with that even thought it is a bit of a pain to try to keep pool clean. If it is indeed pollen/dirt is vacumming really the only way to deal with it. Right now I just have a pressure side cleaner and it really doesn't help on this stuff. It's great on salamander's, though.

All was well until last week and we have had pollen for the last couple of weeks.

I appreciate any help in solving my puzzle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18x36 kidney 20,000 gallons IG vinyl. Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/IntelliChlor IC40. Triton II TR100. Pentair Intellifllo Variable Speed. Waterfall/Jump Rock. 2 Pentair Intellibrite lights. TF-100 Test Kit. And a very happy husband who gets to play in the pool without having to take care of it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this stuff?

Look around. Are the barbeque and the patio table and the windowsills and the car covered with pollen? If they are, so's your pool. Except it gets wet and sinks.

You could try cranking up the SWG and see if higher FC doesn't help.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Does it feel slimey? If so Algae, if if just crushes easy its probably pollen.
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Common to have pollen in the pool this time of year. One way to tell is if it is on the sides of the pool or not. If it sticks to the sides of the pool under water, it's likely algae. If it's on the bottom only, more likely that it is pollen.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Common to have pollen in the pool this time of year. One way to tell is if it is on the sides of the pool or not. If it sticks to the sides of the pool under water, it's likely algae. If it's on the bottom only, more likely that it is pollen.
    Not slimy. It is not on straight sides of wall but it does settle a bit on the part that slants toward the bottom in the deep end.
    18x36 kidney 20,000 gallons IG vinyl. Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/IntelliChlor IC40. Triton II TR100. Pentair Intellifllo Variable Speed. Waterfall/Jump Rock. 2 Pentair Intellibrite lights. TF-100 Test Kit. And a very happy husband who gets to play in the pool without having to take care of it.