Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Seeking pad advice for concrete surface installation

1. Back To Top    #1

Seeking pad advice for concrete surface installation

We've just purchased a new Intex ultraframe AGP 16'x32'x52" rectangle pool with the upgraded inline sand filter and salt system. The area we're going to install the pool is a very large, level, rectangle courtyard-type concrete patio which is why we went with this particular pool. For the money it was the most gallons of water we could fit in it.
    I've read many posts on here about gorilla pads and happy bottom pads but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a pad that:

1.) actually fits or can be made to fit a 16'x32' rectangle.
    2.) provides very good protection for the pool liner from the coarse concrete surface and moisture.
    3.) provides a excellent padded cushion for swimmers' feet.
    4.) doesn't cost a fortune.

One person in this forum recommended 2" owens corning dense styrofoam insulation but at $33 retail for a 4'x8' piece it would cost me over $1k just to provide the padded surface with this material. I did find the same material in a 1-1/2" thickness on craigslist for $10 a 4'x8' panel but wanted to get feedback from this forum before proceeding with such a solution.

I appreciate any constructive feedback and thank all in advance for their time and answers.
    14,364gal AGP
    Intex Ultra Frame 16'x32'x52"
    Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System - 2,650 GPH
    Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40 Pool Cleaner
    2 dedicated 20-amp GFIC's for pum, filter and cleaner
    Installed on concrete patio w/ 1-1/2" extruded polystyrene base
    10'x36'x54" pressure treated deck w/ 6"x6" posts, 2"x10" joists & beams, 42" rails

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Seeking pad advice for concrete surface installation

Welcome to tfp, clc1076

1.5" or even 1.0" extruded polystyrene insulation board will work great. Make sure it is extruded (not expanded).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Seeking pad advice for concrete surface installation

Thanks, linen!
    14,364gal AGP
    Intex Ultra Frame 16'x32'x52"
    Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System - 2,650 GPH
    Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40 Pool Cleaner
    2 dedicated 20-amp GFIC's for pum, filter and cleaner
    Installed on concrete patio w/ 1-1/2" extruded polystyrene base
    10'x36'x54" pressure treated deck w/ 6"x6" posts, 2"x10" joists & beams, 42" rails