Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi everyone,

I'm replacing my old pool filter. There is this closed (squashed) vertical copper pipe near the return pipe. Nothing was connected to it. It continues for several feet, then connects to a PVC pipe and goes under the slab. Does anyone know what it is? Could it be connected to sewer for backwashing? Here are some pics.

It's the pipe right in the middle with squashed end.
20130422_230414_zps09b9c8de.jpg

Here you can see it curve to the left.
20130422_230439_zps54edfa56.jpg

And here you can see it connect to plastic pipe and go under the slab.
20130422_230619_zps80223d5d.jpg

JohnT, I think you are right on the money. Looks like it goes to a vacuum port (the one in the middle of the picture below). I just bought a Kreepy Krauly within the last 4 weeks and I've used it by attaching to the skimmer using a diverter valve. I currently have no valves anywhere else that allow me to control suction. I'm considering bringing that pipe over to the suction line and putting in a valve that'll allow me to switch between the suction line and the vacuum line. The KK comes with a vacuum port attachment that screws right into that port. BTW, do you know if that rust spot in the photo means I have to resurface the pool soon? Is it caused by chemical imbalance?

20130423_085006_zpsca7c86d2.jpg

Before doing a lot of replumbing ... cut off the the end of the pipe and blow some air or water through it to be 100% sure it is for that vac port.

The rust spot could be due to a piece of rebar the is exposed close to the surface of the gunite. Mostly aesthetic, resurfacing is up to you. I have a few and then grinded them down when the old plaster was removed.

Thanks! Just "un-squashed" the pipe and stuck a water hose in the vac port. Water came right out of the pipe. Looks clean. When I re-plumb this, do you think I can use schedule 40 PVC or is there a reason they used copper? PVC is just easier to work with for me. Are there any other plumbing changes you would recommend while have this dug up? I'm planning to pave over the area and raise it up to the level of pool concrete slab after I'm done. So I want to take care of everything while it's open. As far as I can see, the only thing I need is the suction/vac valve. Gas hook up for the heater is a whole other story.

If is it all dug up, I would consider getting rid of all the copper pipe and switching to PVC.

And maybe move the pool plumbing away from your water pipes just so there is more space.

Agree with Jbizzle as well as after you blow water through it to see if it's clear, I would also do a pressure test to ensure there aren't any hidden surprises like a broken line under the concrete. (don't want to be sucking air or pushing water under the concrete.

@jblizzle
I don't think it's feasible to get rid of all copper pipe because some of it is under the slab, but I can definitely replace whatever I can get to. I'm not sure what you mean by water pipes. I don't think I have any water supply lines in that area - it's all pool plumbing, pool electrical, and a gas line to the heater. The gas line is above ground right now, but I'm planning to move it under ground and bring it above ground beyond the pavement. That'll take a lot of research though because I don't want to blow up my house.

@4knights
What's involved in doing a pressure test? Is it something I can do on my own?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the link, 4knights. Man, that's a lot of pipes in that trench! Regarding the gas line, I was thinking of calling the gas company and telling them that I need to disconnect my pool heater and that the gas line leading to it is rusty (which it is). If they send someone out, I can ask some questions and then decide what to do. I think that whole line is turned off right now. Who knows, it might be turned off because there is a problem with it.

Sorry, I thought the pipes in the first pic were water and not gas. Still would be nice to not have the pool pipes so close to the gas pipes ... give yourself some room is you can.

Hi,

I'm almost done with installing the new filter and re-plumbing everything. The filter is not completely hooked up yet, but the more difficult part of the plumbing is done. I got rid of the copper piece of the pipe that I originally posted about, and instead connected the PVC portion to suction side. I put a three-way valve to regulate between skimmer/main drain and the vacuum line. I read that suction side plumbing is supposed to be the same or bigger than pressure side. So now my concern is that this may not work very well because the vacuum line is 1" (I believe) and the rest of the plumbing is 1.5". Do you think it's a problem? Well, if worse comes to worst I can just use the valve to fully close off the vacuum line. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get the luxury of a dedicated vacuum line.

Here is the "before" and "after"

20130420_130035_zpse82973ac.jpg

20130603_131553_zps727450b3.jpg

Depending on you suction cleaner, the small pipe may work. Some require less flow than others ... I think the PoolCleaner requires quite a bit less flow than other cleaners.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.