Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I convert my 1 HP Hayward Power-flo LX to 2 speed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I convert my 1 HP Hayward Power-flo LX to 2 speed?

I searched the internet for my motor part# (SPX1510Z1XE) and found this site which mentions part# 18313301 - TWO SPEED TOGGLE SWITCH, FLEX48 (MOTOR ADD-ON). Is that really all it takes to convert to a two speed pump?
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I convert my 1 HP Hayward Power-flo LX to 2 speed?

You just need a 2 speed motor and a way to select the speed and a new seal kit. That switch will work or you can just wire in your own switch for a lot less $.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

OK, since the rpm on the label only lists one RPM then it's single speed. I just got my hopes up because even this site showed it was compatible with a Hayward SP1580 pump
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes you can - as mentioned - not only the switch, but a replacement 2 speed motor of the same size (for the high speed).
    The BN37 on this page http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/48frame.htm should be a boltin replacement.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah a small oversight by me, I should quit staying up late.

6. Back To Top    #6

By the time you buy the motor and switch you could almost buy a new Pentair Optiflo 2-speed:
    http://www.aquasupercenter.com/products ... ~6199.html

Very happy with mine, and I like the handle design better than any other pump I've seen. Sold the old single speed on ebay for $80, too!.
    16'x32' ~20000 gallon Vinyl in-ground pool. Single skimmer + bottom drain, dual return. Hayward 244T Sand filter and 1.5HP 2 speed Super pump running 24/7
    24' round ~13500 gallon Vinyl above ground pool 1HP single speed Pentair pump 24/7 with Sand filter. Next door---Maintaining it for my great neighbor!