Need advice for 2-speed pump upgrade and connection.

jimhokie

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2013
Yorktown, VA
I recently fired up my 11 y.o. pump for the first time since November, and it screams like a banshee after initially humming and not turning. A little "percussive maintenance" got it turning however. I suspect the bearings are on their last leg. The seal was leaking last season, so maybe that got water in them. I've been wanting to upgrade to a 2-speed motor anyway, so I'm looking for advice on the motor I should buy and how to connect it.

Pump question: My pump is a Hayward Super Pump, model SP2610X15, 1.5Hp, original with the pool (used 11 seasons). Hayward technical services gave me model #SPX1610Z2M as the replacement 2-speed motor. The pool company that installed the pool gave me Century #STS1152R and suggested switch plate #1011431-001, which I gather connects to the motor itself allowing me to switch speeds manually. (I want to use an automatic timer though, so not interested in that. Timer is the next question below.) Is there any appreciable difference or preference between these two motors, or an alternate better suggestion to either of these? If not, I'll go by best price I can get them for.

How to connect--timer questions: My pump is not currently on a timer, just a wall-mounted on/off switch. I also have a salt generator system connected. I've read much about using two timers for a 2-speed motor. If I understand this right, the first timer just turns the pump on or off, and the second timer with a properly placed jumper switches between high or low speed--is that right? Is this because most people already had one timer, like the T-104, and had to add a second timer (T-106) when they installed a 2-speed motor? Considering that I do not yet have any timer installed, what is my best (i.e., best balance of cost and features) option for a timer? I read somewhere about an electronic timer that also had a freeze protect option. I presume an electronic timer would have more flexibility than mechanical timers, but how reliable/durable are they...worth the likely extra cost? (My pump/filter is in a covered, unheated shed.) I use a mesh cover that reveals a pond every spring, so would use of a freeze protection feature allow me to leave the plumbing operable all winter to prevent algae formation in the fall and spring whenever the water is warm enough? Is this even advisable? (My area typically has very few nights in the teens during winter, and probably less than 30 days/nights that drop below freezing.)

I'm a mechanical engineer with moderate confidence in my ability to install and connect the new motor and timer(s), provided I have good instructions and schematics. I figure I'm already in for ~$500 or more for parts, and would like to not have to add an electrician's cost to that.

I'll greatly appreciate any guidance toward making the right decisions for my upgrade...thanks in advance!

Jim

Hi Jim,

Century / AO Smith came out with a 2 speed motor which has a digital timer installed on top of the motor. We recently did a motor swap out using the conventional 2 speed motor and the T104 and T106 mechanical timer and then did a second install using the new motor with the digital timer. The digital timer motor was soooo much easier to install and wire and the functionality is much nicer then the older mechanical timer. The nice thing also is that the motor is about the same price as the standard dual speed motor however you do not need to purchase a t106 timer which will set you back a $100 or so. If you search on Google for "1 HP Two Speed Motor W/ Timer - Round Flange (B975T,B2975T)" you will be able find companies selling this motor, which I would highly reccomend. Also make sure to get a tune up kit part # GOKIT3

Sorry just re-read your post and noticed you have a 1.5 HP motor so you would want to search for the following on Google "1.5 HP Full Rate Two Speed Motor W/ Timer - Round Flange (B977T)"

Thanks for that info, Patrick. I read up on that model and confirmed it would work with my pump. Even with the great price I could get a standard 2-speed motor on Amazon, the additional cost for any timer option was comparable or more, and the installation for this one should be much easier, which was the final selling point. So I ordered one. It doesn't have a freeze protection option, and I'm not crazy about having to bend over to read the display on the pump at ground level, but overall seems like the best solution. Just hope it arrives in time to install this weekend!

Just wanted to let any one know that reads this thread that you can't actually get the motor mentioned above with the built in timer (1.5 HP Full Rate Two Speed Motor W/ Timer - Round Flange (B977T)). I ordered one, but after a week and still not receiving notice of it shipping, I was informed that the manufacturer would not be able to ship the 1.5 Hp version of that motor. The company I ordered it from said something about the UL certification that was preventing them from being able to ship it. They couldn't tell me if it was an issue that would be resolved soon, and I couldn't wait so I ordered an alternate 2-speed motor and a digital timer. If you want to order one, be sure to confirm the issue has been resolved!

We contacted Century (Formerly AO Smith) about this yesterday and they stated that all of the dual speed motors with digital timer (2 Green Motors) are available with the exception of the B977T 1.5 HP Round Flange replacement motor which is still awaiting UL approval. Jim I am truly sorry about recommending a motor which is not available yet! I am in contact with Century on a regular basis and will update this post when the 1.5 HP 2 Green motor is available.

B975T seems like it might be a better fit with total hp of 1.4 (just slightly lower than the total hp of 1.5 for your current motor), but I would probably call before purchasing. The B977T has a total hp of 1.93, so it is big for your pump (too big imo). Keep in mind your current motor is a 1.5 hp uprated.

No need to apologize, Patrick! You couldn't have known...even the company I ordered from didn't know until I asked why it hadn't shipped yet (it was supposed to ship directly from the manufacturer). The manufacturer actually offered me a 3 hp motor at no additional charge, but since I was primarily after the cost savings of the 2-speed motor, I declined, not wanting to pay higher operating costs for way more power than I needed.

Linen, since I was urgently in need of a new motor because I was afraid the old one was about to die from the sound of it, I already ordered (and installed) a different 2-speed 1.5 hp motor, and installed a separate digital timer. One advantage of this is that now the timer control is at face level vs. having to bend over to read the one on the 2Green motor. Just cost me about $60 more, and a couple hours more time to hook everything up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bought a Century SPX1610Z2M, 1.5 Hp. I was pleasantly surprised that it was shorter than my old single speed motor--fatter and heavier, but shorter. I was afraid the replacement would be longer and hit the wall of my shed...the old one was only a couple inches short of it. The only bad thing was that the bonding lug was on the back end of it instead of on the side like the old one...made it a pain to connect the pool and chlorinator bonding wires back against the wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.