Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confused

1. Back To Top    #1

Confused

Ok i think I narrowed my pool selection down to Intex 22x54 or 12x24x54 I would like some feedback on the benefits of round over rectangle or vice a verse this pool will be used by my twin 7 year old girls, my wife and myself. Also I am a little cconfused on prepping the surface, do I use sand to level or just a small layer for comfort and does anyone have step by step pictures that show me the proccess..I am a total novice and will call you guys for more help so thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confused

Round pools are usually larger than rectangular/oval pools so you'll get more swimmable space in a round pool.

You never want to use sand to level off an area that the pool will sit on. Pull all the sod off the area and dig down into the earth to level the area. You never want to build up or add a lot of sand. It will shift and take your pool with it!

As for how much sand to use under the pool, an inch or 2 is plenty enough to provide comfort. And you will need a solid surface (pavers) for the pool legs to set on, leveled the whole way around the pool give or take 1/4"-1" out of level. Anything more could be dangerous.

Leveling the pool site is the most important step in pool construction!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Great advice from Casey!

Since you are a novice, you'll find lots of information in our Pool School section. It is important that you get a handle on the water balance, testing procedures, and the like. It is also very important that you have a high quality test kit. Without an accurate drop-based kit, you can only guess at what's really happening in your water. I would suggest that you pick up a TF-100 through tftestkits.net. The kit is the best value out there and you cannot get it in stores.

4. Back To Top    #4

Given your two choices, I'd definitely go with the round one. As Casey said, the round one will give you more room. Also as she said, leveling is the most important part of the install. Anything else can be fixed rather easily but an out of level pool is a major pain to fix!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

There's lots of videos online on how to install an above ground pool, I would watch many of those - even if they are videos on metal walled pools it will still show you how to prep the site.
    The most important thing is LEVEL...and you can't determine level by eye, you need some sort of leveling aid and the cheapest way is to strap a 4' level to a straight 2X6 board, move that around the site and level as you go. Your goal is to have the site less than one inch from level.
    Leveling is the serious part, expecially if you have kids, some people with Intex pool post things like "my pool is 2" lower on one side - should I be worried?".......ummm, ya you should, you don't want 10,000 gallons letting loose on your kids.

Not trying to scare, just want to get you on the right track, it's not that hard to level the site, my signature has pics of my own install and should show most of the major steps in leveling.

Good luck!
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

6. Back To Top    #6

okay those pics really help a lot. I will start to prep this weekend and plan on installing the pool around the 15th of May. Good stuff guys I really appreciate it.

7. Back To Top    #7

research on goggle making a water level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAcT_1T25LM

Have fun!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing